Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Blue code of silence. GOOD cops won't fink on BAD COPS for fear of reprisal. Loyalty to profession supersedes loyalty to TRUTH. WHY IS THAT?

Blue code of silence. GOOD cops won't fink on BAD COPS for fear of reprisal. Loyalty to profession supersedes loyalty to TRUTH. WHY IS THAT?

Docs don't fink on docs
Cops don't fink on cops

We the people get screwed but well they value LOYALTY more than justice.

Would YOU fink on a co-worker who was doing very bad things or just look the other way? Why?

Posted - June 8, 2020

Responses

"Fear of reprisal" does not equal "loyalty".

I have an example from my personal work, just last week.
    I sent an email to a manager, regarding making a historic correction to an employee's time card.
    The employee received 2 automated emails to check their time card and schedule, during the pay period.
    The manager received 4 automated emails to do the same.  Two of those emails even listed the specific dates in question.
    Only after the payroll was processed did the employee raise the issue that their schedule was incorrect.
    I pointed out that they had received 6 emails prior to payroll close - and I guess it offended the manager.
    So the manager made a complaint about ME, that I was rude in my email.  So I got a verbal warning, and have to participate in weekly meetings with my supervisor.

Another example.
    Managers were required by hospital policy to check time cards/schedules daily.
    They refused to do so, claiming they didn't have time.
    Rather than enforcing the policy, Senior management changed the policy.

Will I "look the other way" in the future, when managers/employees violate policy deadlines?
    Most likely.  Because to do otherwise, is to risk retaliation.
      June 8, 2020 11:35 AM MDT

I should have written "loyalty" Walt. I was using the term very loosely. Now m'dear why didn't you COPY others when you sent those emails? They would have received the six and knowing you had copies others might have gotten them off their butts to comply with your request. You had leverage but you didn't use it. Then you get nailed! I mean c'mon. Keep doing it only now protect yourself with documentation to others. Just a suggestion. Thank you for your sharing a most aggravating mindboggling example. Sheesh! :)
      June 8, 2020 11:49 AM MDT

I always copy my supervisor and director on my emails, because I've had this come up in reviews.
    But because I just write the facts, without trying to "pretty up" or "soften" the language, I'm accused of being "rude" and "too blunt" and "offensive".

And even before this, it was to the point I wouldn't respond to emails ... I would ask my supervisor to do so, because managers ignored my emails.  

Nor does it matter that I am the "subject expert" on payroll and taxes.  If a manager (especially senior manager) or a doctor doesn't like having to have earnings/benefits as taxable income - I'm supposed to "fix it".  THAT is the leverage I have.  If they ever fire me, there will be a few calls to the IRS and state Revenue Department and Bureau of Labor.

June 8, 2020 3:02 PM MDT

Apologies to thee from me. So even though and even so it doesn't matter? No disrespect intended to them but NORMAL supervisors appreciate just the facts without all the gingerbread. Short sweet truthful is what I like. More than that is ANNOYING and TIME-WASTING. So m'dear you're darned if you do and you're darned if you don't. Just really swell. I'm going to say something I may have to apologize for. Whatever you "fix" can't go back on you later on right? Oh. I get it. The few calls to the IRA and state revenue Department and Bureau of Labor will be FROM you not ABOUT you! Good. Okey dokey. Hang in. They don't deserve you. I know. What else is new! Thanks for the clarification Walt. This post was edited by RosieG at June 11, 2020 8:24 AM MDT
      June 11, 2020 8:22 AM MDT