Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How is it that one grandstanding virulently racist Libertarian Senator can hold up stall block an ANTI-LYCHING BILL? RAND PAUL! GALL?

How is it that one grandstanding virulently racist Libertarian Senator can hold up stall block an ANTI-LYCHING BILL? RAND PAUL! GALL?

Posted - June 8, 2020

Responses

How is it that anyone could possible object to anti-lynching?  
      June 8, 2020 11:17 AM MDT

Beats me sweetie! In front of everyone too. THE ONLY HOLDOUT on top of that. I mean we know it goes on (virulent racism) behind closed doors in whispers in the shadows but making a spectacle of himself? I don't get it. Are Libertarians virulent RACISTS? Apparently one of them is. Thank you for your question. I wonder if the anti guy has tried to explain the why? :( This post was edited by RosieG at June 8, 2020 5:22 PM MDT
      June 8, 2020 11:54 AM MDT

I stopped listening to Rand Paul a long time ago.  For me, nothing he says is particularly valid.
      June 8, 2020 5:23 PM MDT

It's kinda hard to ignore the guy L. Who does he represent? What does that constiuency look like? All white reactionary racists? His dad was bad enough. He is an abomination. I don't get why one senator has the power to block the other 99 in anything. It makes NO SENSE AT ALL. Plus which it is shameful disgusting evil and puzzling. SIGH. You'd think as I get older I'd understand more stuff. I don't. I ask more questions because more stuff is inexplicable abominable and cruelly evil. I think humans are degerating deteriorating rapidly. So I will ask if others share that view. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      June 9, 2020 2:46 AM MDT

My guess is that he was not the only one who was against the bill, but was the one vote that killed it.  There must also have been some other provisions that were objectionable.  So, what they have to do is sit down and change it together so that it can be passed.  Rand Paul represents Kentucky - the same state that Mitch McConnell represents.  My2cents gave part of Paul's reasoning, but without the full text to which he objected, I'm not sure what he meant.
      June 9, 2020 9:52 AM MDT

AARRGGHH! My response to m2c. Bullsh** crap in my opinion. PASS THE ANTI-LYNCHING BILL. DON'T PARSE WORDS TO DO NOTHING. Geez. It doesn't matter what it is parsing nitpicking marginalizationis always part of the excuse for doing nothing. "Make it perfect"! What is? I am sick and tired of the excuses for doing nothing that tumbleweed and his minions come up with. SICK AND TIRED. SIGH. Thank you for your reply L. No disrespect to you but I DO NOT BUY A WORD OF EXCUSE JUSTIFICATION RATIONALIZATION AUGMENTAION IRRITATION PLANTATION GUSTATION FRUSTRATION AGGRAVATION INFESTATION. :(. This post was edited by RosieG at June 9, 2020 4:12 PM MDT
      June 9, 2020 1:01 PM MDT

No disrespect taken.  I agree with you that it's all bull-feathers.  Much as they do with almost every bill, they can tweak it after they pass it to make it stronger.
      June 9, 2020 4:13 PM MDT

((hugs)) Thanks L. Sometimes I just can't take the bulloney! SIGH. Happy Wednesday! :)
      June 10, 2020 5:12 AM MDT

Evidently, they want to pass the bill unanimously. 

"We want the bill to be stronger. We think that lynching is an awful thing that should be roundly condemned and should be universally condemned. I don't think it's a good idea to conflate someone who has an altercation where they had minor bruises with lynching," Paul said. 

"If you're gonna call something an anti-lynching bill but you're gonna have a new conspiracy charge for someone who has minor bruising, we don't think that's appropriate. And someone has to read these bills and make sure they do what they say they're going to do rather than it be just a big PR effort," Paul added. 

June 9, 2020 3:24 AM MDT

AARRGGHH!
      June 9, 2020 12:56 PM MDT

They should pass a straight bill. Without trying to make a bar fight or something into a lynching crime.  

At issue is what, exactly, counts as lynching under federal law. The bill would add a new section called “lynching” to the civil rights statute to deal with group violence meant to intimidate people of color or other protected groups. The offense would be classified as a conspiracy by two or more people to cause bodily harm in connection with a hate crime, with penalties up to life in prison if convicted. Mr. Paul proposed to raise the bar beyond the standard in federal hate crimes statutes, to “serious bodily injury,” so that only crimes involving conspiracy to cause “substantial risk of death and extreme physical pain” could be charged as lynching, according to aides.
      June 9, 2020 3:07 PM MDT