Discussion » Questions » Pregnancy » What is your opinion on midwives, do you think that they do a good job?

What is your opinion on midwives, do you think that they do a good job?

Ladies would you or have you used a midwife? Was your experience a positive or a negative one?

Posted - October 3, 2016

Responses

They could be experienced, sure. But if I ever have a kid, I'm going to have it in a hospital. That way, if there are any complications, there are more people available in a better-suited environment for emergency procedures. A hospital has gathered experience (many trained nurses/doctors that regularly deliver hundreds of babies) and the tools for unexpected complications. A team of nurses could be immediately available should an emergency arise. My baby would have a better chance for survival in a hospital. 
      October 3, 2016 8:49 PM MDT

• As a close friend, I assisted at two home births with mid-wives.
    One went very smoothly and well.

The other was a second-time labour, but my friend feared the pain of her first
    and so used her breathing to slow herself down.
    It was taking too long (12 hours after the waters broke) and so the mid-wife insisted my friend go to the hospital.
    As soon as my friend heard that an obstetrician was coming to do a forceps delivery,
    she turned over into doggie position and pushed the baby out as easily as a cow.
    The midwife whispered to me afterwards that she had suspected that fear was the problem, and that my friend only needed a bigger fear to motivate her.

Midwives are highly trained. They know their limits and are not averse to using a hospital if something goes wrong that is beyond their skills.
    The important thing is to choose a birthing place that is within easy reach of a hospital at short notice.
      October 4, 2016 3:30 AM MDT