Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you like chatterboxes? Big talkers? Loud talkers? Fast talkers? Could you work with one who never shut up? How?

Do you like chatterboxes? Big talkers? Loud talkers? Fast talkers? Could you work with one who never shut up? How?

Posted - October 4, 2016

Responses

I am hard of hearing so speak up and don't mumble.  
    I have a Professor that speaks just like the character, "Penelope" on SNL.
    Her voice trails off then she speaks quickly while mumbling at the end of a sentence.
    Drives me crazy, because I can't hear what she is saying.

Her content while speaking however is definitely NOT like the character "Penelope", just the style is similar. 

October 4, 2016 5:11 PM MDT

Is there something that can be done for you Sunshine? I assume you sit up front so you can try to hear what is being said. Is it a condition that a hearing aid could help or possibly surgery? I have otosclerosis in both ears and had an operation on one ear many years ago at the House Institute in Los Angeles.  It is apparently famous for ear surgeries. I had a 70% loss in one ear and I believe a 40% loss in the other. The surgery was done on the 70% ear and as I was on the operating table I could suddenly hear! It was an amazing thing! I never had surgery on the other ear. I put my " good ear" down on the pillow when I sleep at night. It's like bionic hearing. They replaced the frozen stapes with a wire and it worked like magic! Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      October 5, 2016 4:00 AM MDT