Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » My sniffer is either broken or flowers don't have the same intense fragrance that they did before. Roses and Carnations especially. Whassup?

My sniffer is either broken or flowers don't have the same intense fragrance that they did before. Roses and Carnations especially. Whassup?

Posted - June 22, 2020

Responses

I believe that as we age, our senses of taste and smell diminish.  Those are also two symptoms of Covid-19, so be mindful of any other symptoms.
      June 22, 2020 5:07 AM MDT

My sense of taste has heightened not lessened. The smell thing has been with me for decades. Sad to say. I remember the carnations my mom had growing in the backyard. You'd go out when they were all in bloom and the fragrance knocked my socks off. Seven and a half DECADES ago though. Also roses. We'd visit my son when he was at UCLA getting his Ph.d regularly. He lived in Santa Monica and we'd walk on the beach but we had to through a beautiful public rose garden to get there. That was as short a awhile ago as 2004. We stopped to smell the roses. Barely anything there. So maybe my sniffer is gone on an extended hiatus. Do flowers have the same intense fragrance for you? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to you! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 22, 2020 8:00 PM MDT
      June 22, 2020 5:27 AM MDT

Some flowers do have an intense scent - peonies come to mind and they are my favorite flower.  I also like honeysuckle and lilacs.  the day lilies around my development are also fragrant.
      June 22, 2020 5:46 AM MDT

Odd you should ask. In the past couple of months, my olfactory sence has been on steroids. Yesterday, at my daughters farm, I was the only one who could smell the clover that was covering the lawn.
      June 22, 2020 8:04 PM MDT