Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Some won't go back to work because they say it isn't safe. What happens to them? Cut off unemployment because they'd rather live than die?

Some won't go back to work because they say it isn't safe. What happens to them? Cut off unemployment because they'd rather live than die?

Posted - June 25, 2020

Responses

They either have to live off their savings (if they’re lucky enough to have any), or they have to join the ranks of the homeless.  Remember, in this country money is more important that human life.  

June 25, 2020 12:29 PM MDT

That really is not true.
      June 25, 2020 1:00 PM MDT

Oh?  I’m sorry, are you unemployed and terrified of going back to work?  I AM! (high risk group).

Are you unable to pay your rent?  Landlords may be able to go a little while with reduced fees or deferring them, but their bills come due too (property taxes, maintenance, etc.).  Eventually, if one can’t pay the rent, they will have to go.  With no income, that means living in ones car or out on the street.

Money has been more important than human life for many thousands of years.  The rich buy and sell the poor.

June 25, 2020 1:22 PM MDT

So what solution do you propose?
      June 25, 2020 2:34 PM MDT

A truer word was never spoken in my opinion my friend. To be or not to be. That was the question. Today it's not so easy.Every day in every way the confederate prez jefferson don trump sees to it that more and more of us union folks will die. His mission in life is to "GET BACK AT" which is always what he lives for. He uses his power to help his a**kissers and punish those who find that repugnant. So far he is getting away with it. The why is because there are many more whinya** chickensh** cowards in politics than I thought. The confederate majority senate always wins over the minority UNION senators. In the House it's the opposite. The UNION majority always wins and confederate minority just sits on its hands kvetching whining caterwauling. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      June 25, 2020 2:05 PM MDT

I have been back at work since May 13th, riding public transportation every day. I am, obviously, still alive. But according to the US Department of Labor, about 1.5 million people are applying for unemployment benefits each week.

"A staggering 30.5 million Americans — or roughly a fifth of the labor force — were claiming some form of unemployment benefits in the week ending June 6, the most recent week for which that number is available, according to the feds.

"That included about 11 million people on Pandemic Unemployment Assistance — the special program for gig workers and others not eligible for regular benefits — up from 9.3 million in the prior week, the figures show."

Apparently, unemployment insurance is available for many folks who are out of work, including those who are reticent or afraid to go back.

June 25, 2020 2:47 PM MDT