Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I don't like to be told what I MUST DO to please anyone. I want choice autonomy and sovereignty and no strongarming. You?

I don't like to be told what I MUST DO to please anyone. I want choice autonomy and sovereignty and no strongarming. You?

Posted - June 27, 2020

Responses

Something else we agree on...:)
      June 27, 2020 5:33 AM MDT

Yeah. I refer specifically to Joe Biden being told he must choose an African American woman as his veep. Seriously. Choosing by color alone? Seriously? Isn't that what racism is all about? Color? Thank you for your reply m2c.
      June 27, 2020 6:11 AM MDT

Yep. That is a form of racism as well.  
      June 27, 2020 6:35 AM MDT

For the most part, I agree, but there are times when doing something for the safety of ourselves and others is necessary such as wearing masks in public and social distancing during a pandemic.
      June 27, 2020 5:41 AM MDT

I refer to Joe Biden being told he MUST choose an African American woman as his veep. I have common sense L. Wearing masks gloves sheltering at home and social distancing will save my life. Why would I object to that? Sigh. I asked a question in detail about the other non-white female choices. I like Tammy Duckworth. For example. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee! :)
      June 27, 2020 6:10 AM MDT

OK, then I misunderstood the point of your question.  Unfortunately, with the climate the way it is today, naming a Black woman as his running mate will help him get elected.  Should it be that way, not necessarily although I'm sure there are Black women who would be qualified.  I don't know enough about Tammy Duckworth's record (other than she's former military) to be able to opine on her qualifications.  
      June 27, 2020 7:59 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply L. There are a bazillion female Democratic pols who would do very well for our country. Choosing one based on skin color seems counterproductive to me. :(
      June 27, 2020 10:43 AM MDT

Yes, if choosing a Black running mate was based solely on skin color, it would be counter-productive, but if he can choose a Black woman who's qualified, why not do it? This post was edited by SpunkySenior at June 29, 2020 2:59 AM MDT
      June 27, 2020 3:31 PM MDT

Here's what bothers me. Rigidity. Tokenism. Doing something for appearances'  sake to fulfill the demands of others. "Do it my way or the highway". I don't like that from anyone for any reason L. Do you? It is very limiting. It's like picking a mate who fits the description of your mother's ideal of whom you should hook up with or marry. I think you need to "click" with people you are going to be stuck with for a long time. You have to be at least in the same book if not always on the same page. Could you work with someone who annoyed the he** out of you or "rubbed" you the wrong way? Don't know if you've ever been in a position to interview and hire people at your job but whom do you select if all other requirements seem to be equal? The one who has a spark. The one who seems to get what you are talking about. I dunno. It's just me I guess. You know I'd like Kamala Harris. But what about Tammy Duckworth? Actually my Aussie friend really thinks very highly of her and brings her name up from time to time. An AUSSIE mind you! I ramble on. It's not my call. I just don't do well if someone boxes me in and limits me. Not well at all. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 29, 2020 9:06 AM MDT
      June 29, 2020 3:06 AM MDT

No, I don't like being told I must do something for appearance sake, but when there is a capable and qualified person of color I don't see any reason not to choose that person.  In fact, it should have been happening long before George Floyd was murdered and all this protesting took place.  Women need to be included in the political arena the same as men, especially when they are eminently qualified to be in that position.  There's no reason why Black woman should not be considered.  

The New York Times yesterday had a full page devoted to the possible candidates Biden is considering for a running mate. 
    https://www.nytimes.com/article/biden-vice-president-2020.html?searchResultPosition=2
      June 29, 2020 9:17 AM MDT

There is no reason why any qualified person should not be considered. But you know what? All this MEA CULPA change will never level the playing field. FINALLY the world is in agreement (except for the trump and his devoted worshippers and similar ilk worldwide). I'm sorry but it simply doesn't cut it for all the centuries of suffering. Picking an African American woman doesn't make anything better if you pick JUST BECAUSE SHE IS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMAN. Because m'dear there are dozens and dozens of QUALIFIED WOMEN as you well know. Limiting the Biden pick to an African America woman is also racist isn't it? How is it not? The more I think about it the angrier I get. A sop for all the centuries of suffering? An African American female president of the United States of America? With all the FASCIST RACISTS here in the millions? If whomever that is ever has a chance I think there will be an assassination. I'm serious Remember RFK?  Thank you for your reply L. This post was edited by RosieG at June 29, 2020 11:15 AM MDT
      June 29, 2020 11:13 AM MDT

No, choosing a Black woman for VP doesn't make up for years of racism.  No individual act will, but you have to start somewhere and if he chooses one that is well-qualified, then it's a start.
      June 29, 2020 12:47 PM MDT

Well it's his butt on the line not mine. Fortunately for the Dems. I'm pretty sure I'd not go along with it. But seriously who am I kidding? I'd never be a candidate for anything a group would have to vote. I'm not everyone's cuppa tea and I take pride in that. To be a candidate you have to be very well liked I think. Don't you? If something doesn't make sense I say so. I don't care who said it. That wouldn't float with some who egos you have to curry to. I'm really not good at currying. I think there's a question there somewhere. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      June 29, 2020 1:01 PM MDT

Let's face it, the Dems want to get Biden elected and they will do whatever they have to in order to achieve that goal.  In that respect, they are no different than the GOP.  The difference is that the Dems are more people oriented and the GOP is more business oriented.  In truth, we need both for a healthy nation.  No, I don't curry anyone's favor.  Like me or don't - I don't really care at this point.  I can't really remember when I did. :)
      June 30, 2020 5:52 AM MDT

In grammar school I was a loner. I heard the other kids talk about parties they'd attended to which I was never once invited. Of course I was younger and looked as if I were an alien. I liked school. I did well there. I looked forward to learning. An alien for sure. I remember walking by the home of one of the kids in my class. It was walled off from the street but I guess he had a pool because I heard a lot of laughter and splashing so I guessed he was having friends over. A Saturday methinks. I felt the pain of being an outsider. Now being an outsider is something I very much like being. But at a very young age I did want to feel that the other kids liked me. I was shy and younger so I really did not develop the tools to reach out. I think I have them now but now I AM VERY SELECTIVE. Thank you for your reply L! It's a good thing it doesn't matter to me whether I'm popular or not. Basing my value on how others perceive me and go along with what their value system is just so they will "LIKE" me? Not possible. :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 30, 2020 6:06 AM MDT
      June 30, 2020 5:57 AM MDT

I grew up a "city" kid so our closest friends were the kids on our block.  There were 7 or 8 of us and we were in and out of each other's apartments all the time.  Most of us went to the same schools and it was only after graduation from high school that we went in different directions.  One of the boys who was my first friend when I moved to that neighborhood had gone off to Vietnam along with two of the others.  I met up with him for drinks when he came home on leave but by the time he was out of the service, I had moved to my own apartment further away.  I didn't find out what happened to the two other boys until many years later.  Those two came back from Vietnam with serious drug habits.  One was killed in a drug buy gone bad and the other dies of an overdose.  Only my friend John survived to tell the tale.  Many of the kids we grew up with had passed away which surprised me since we were all about the same age.
      June 30, 2020 6:11 AM MDT

That's sad L. Of course survival has a lot to do with how you live your life. Healthy eating habits. Modest alcohol usage. No "recreational" drug habits. No smoking. Exercise. Also keeping the mind alive by constantly seeking new things to learn. All of that is a good way to go through life. Where you are in control you can do the right thing. Where you aren't well fingers crossed luck is with you. Thank you for your reply. Your childhood was different from mine. There were groups who were friends through grammar school and high school but I was never part of them. It mattered then but doesn't now though I do wonder something. Whom would I be if I had been popular? I think I'll ask. :)
      June 30, 2020 6:50 AM MDT

I guess we'll never know what "might have been" had we led a different childhood life.  :)  That's why it is imperative that we make the best of what we have now and encourage others in out sphere of influence to do the same.
      June 30, 2020 8:29 AM MDT