Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » How Well Do You Conform to the Stereotypical View of Your Particular Political, Ethnic, Religious, Racial, etc. Group?

How Well Do You Conform to the Stereotypical View of Your Particular Political, Ethnic, Religious, Racial, etc. Group?

E.g, "godless gay, gun-grabbing liberals" or "atavistic, chest-thumping, jingoistic, ignorant conservatives."

(Note: don't kill the messenger.  I didn't contrive these stereotypes. :-))

Posted - October 5, 2016

Responses

I MIGHT conform to the stereotype of "straight, white, Christian libertarian" about eighteen percent of the time.
      October 5, 2016 12:04 AM MDT

• I'm a middle-aged (60,) atheist, rationalist, existentialist, green, classically liberal, healthy, heterosexual, not-so-straight married white woman, who never had kids, who practices Buddhist meditation and ethics, yoga, lives like a country yokel, has a history of periodic depressions, writes a lot, reads a lot, loves world music and dance and art and a zillion other subjects, smokes a rare reefer, drinks a glass of wine maybe three times a year with dinner and friends - bohemian - who has tried at least 4 careers, one of which lasted 20 years. Maybe half a hippie.
    Do I fit any category?
    Please tell me if I do, because I would love to have a sense of belonging. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 5, 2016 1:15 PM MDT
      October 5, 2016 3:39 AM MDT

Hello H:

You fit MY category to a tee, although that may not be the news you were hoping for.

excon
      October 5, 2016 4:43 AM MDT

That's part of the exercise: to discover how well we identify with those who aren't in our particular or usual milieu.
      October 5, 2016 1:19 PM MDT

LOL!  The question isn't for me to answer, Hartfire.  YOU have to answer it.  You're the only one who CAN answer it.

That said, IF I were to put you into a stereotypical pigeonhole, I'd say you fit quite nicely into the old school liberal category (right alongside my parents). :-)
      October 5, 2016 1:16 PM MDT

I don't really conform to any stereotypes.
      October 5, 2016 5:48 AM MDT

Except possibly that of the maverick nonconformist. :-)
      October 5, 2016 1:17 PM MDT

Honestly?  I probably fit the mold without trying.
      October 5, 2016 1:29 PM MDT