Active Now

Slartibartfast
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Once you know someone is a liar why would you believe anything he/she says? If you keep believing lies what does that make you? Why?

Once you know someone is a liar why would you believe anything he/she says? If you keep believing lies what does that make you? Why?

Posted - October 5, 2016

Responses

Although I know everybody has lied at one time or another, it depends on the lies they are known for.

Would I believe them?  More than likely not.   Trust has to be earned. 
      October 5, 2016 8:19 AM MDT

A white lie to prevent hurting someone is always ok in my book. I think kindness is more valuable than truth in such  cases. Otherwise? If the lie is to save your own a** it  has no redeeming value . Once a liar always a liar. Thank you for your reply SA and Happy Thursday! :)
      October 6, 2016 10:33 AM MDT

I agree Rosie.  Everyone does lie and sometimes it's to protect someone they love and it's a lie that is harming no one.  But the kind of lying I am talking about is the kind that is a betrayal.  I think most people would agree with the difference.
      October 6, 2016 10:01 PM MDT

I think so too PeaPod. The betrayers wouldn't agree. They would find some justification/honor in screwing others. They wouldn't feel about themselves as we do about them...they are contemptible. Thank you for your reply PeaPod and Happy Friday! :)
      October 7, 2016 3:43 AM MDT

Trust is a very hard thing to rebuild.  Someone would have to truly demonstrate they have truly changed for me to even consider listening to what they are telling me.
      October 5, 2016 9:40 AM MDT

True!
      October 5, 2016 10:55 AM MDT

Once someone lies to me I label him/her a liar. From then on i have no reason to believe anything a liar says. Just as is true of someone who cheats on/betrays you. Once it 's done it can be done again and probably more easily. Why would you give anyone multiples chances to hurt/harm/betray you? Makes no sense to me so I don't.  Thank you for your reply PeaPod! :)
      October 6, 2016 10:30 AM MDT

I have news for you.  EVERYONE lies.  So, you'd better not trust a soul.   Let he who is without one lie cast the first stone.

We lie all the time on here and we are so used to it, we don't even notice. 

October 6, 2016 11:11 AM MDT