Active Now

Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » When you were a kid did your parents tell you whom you should hate/despise/distrust or did they figure out that you could figure that out?

When you were a kid did your parents tell you whom you should hate/despise/distrust or did they figure out that you could figure that out?

My parents taught me to tell the truth be polite be respectful of my elders and do the best I could.

They were not political. I do not remember discussions of politicians. They were Democrats and naturalized citizens. They loved their country very deeply and always voted. To them it was a great privilege.

I don't remember any vilification of politicians during those times. I do remember that my mother's younger brother Harry, a Republican, rejoiced when JFK was assassinated. I kid you not. I was shocked appalled and ashamed for him and he shaped my view of what a Republican is. Which was not very flattering. Understatement. He said "good riddance". Why can't I forget that I wonder? It still shocks me.

Posted - July 9, 2020

Responses