Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Strange or logical? After a good laugh you always feel better. But so do you too after a good cry. Why?

Strange or logical? After a good laugh you always feel better. But so do you too after a good cry. Why?

Posted - July 12, 2020

Responses

Endorphins.

Both laughing and crying help relieve stress.  When we are stressed, our body releases cortisol into our bloodstream (get ready for fight or flight).  Endorphins (mixed with chemicals such as serotonin, oxytocin, and dopamine) help clear this out of the bloodstream.  When the cortisol is gone, we either feel happy or calm (relaxed). 

July 12, 2020 1:39 PM MDT

I haven't had a "good" cry in ages but they leave me enervated. Yet relieved. Strange though. Jim takes a Melatonin pill at night so he can get to sleep. Is that related to serotonin? Thank you for your reply Shuhak. I never take anything night. Had a bad experience years ago. I took a sleep aid (I forget what) and I was awake all night and shaking. I guess whever was in it didn't not sit well with my body. It was AWFUL! Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply m'dear! :)
      July 13, 2020 3:39 AM MDT

One could say that melatonin and serotonin have the opposite function.  Melatonin helps put one to sleep, while serotonin helps one wake up.  This is a super basic explanation, as there’s a lot more to the 2 substances.

July 13, 2020 11:37 AM MDT

Oh? I guess I thought serotonin calmed you down relaxed you made you "happy"! Thank you for your reply and the info! :)
      July 14, 2020 4:02 AM MDT

Yes, it does that too.
      July 14, 2020 12:12 PM MDT

It peps you up and calms you down? How is that a GOOD THING? A push me-pull me toy in a pill? Egads!
      July 14, 2020 12:15 PM MDT

It’s not an “upper” (like caffeine).  It’s a regulator.  Although it’s sometimes referred to as the “happy hormone”, it actually does a lot more.

July 14, 2020 2:05 PM MDT

A "regulator"? Huh. I don't think I've heard that word used in the context of medicines but it makes sense. There is a norm and it brings you up to or down to that norm? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      July 15, 2020 5:42 AM MDT