Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "I am human and I think nothing human is alien to me". Said by a former slave in 163 B.C. who was freed. Ever hear of Terence?

"I am human and I think nothing human is alien to me". Said by a former slave in 163 B.C. who was freed. Ever hear of Terence?

Terentius Publius Afer was a Roman African playwright. He wrote six plays all available still. On a trip to Greece at the age of 25 he disappeared and was never heard from or of again. It is thought he died on that trip.

He was freed because of his remarkable talent. I wonder how many slaves were remarkably talented but were owned by those who looked at them as subhuman?

"Full many a flower is born to blush unseen and waste its fragrance on the desert air".

Shocking to me that it has been such a long time for slavery.

Allegedly slavery began in earnest only after agricultural took hold...something like 11,000 years ago. I guess the landowners were too high and mighty and soft and LAZY to do the work and so they bought people or took people and forced them into labor.

Perhaps the slaves were black because they were very strong while the whites were very puny and weak and meek when it came to doing HARD WORK and incapable of tilling the soil and making things grow? I do not know. Do you?

Posted - July 20, 2020

Responses