Active Now

Malizz
DannyPetti
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "US ORDERS CHINA TO CLOSE ITS CONSULATE IN HOUSTON." Houston? Why would China want a Consultate there?

"US ORDERS CHINA TO CLOSE ITS CONSULATE IN HOUSTON." Houston? Why would China want a Consultate there?

Posted - July 22, 2020

Responses

I'd imagine there was a large Chinese population, when it was established.
    After all, hundreds of thousands of Chinese come to America for education.

There are also Chinese consulates in NY, Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles ... in addition to their embassy in WADC.
      July 22, 2020 7:36 AM MDT

So m'dear this is how ignorant I am. I always thought there was only ONE foreign consulate per country and it would be located in and around Washington, D.C. Seriously. That's what I thought. So how does that work? They ask permission or just buy property and build whatever the heck they want to build however many places they want to build them? Thank you for your reply Walt. How did life go in Portland last night? SIGH. This post was edited by RosieG at July 22, 2020 7:42 AM MDT
      July 22, 2020 7:42 AM MDT

An Embassy is generally established in the capital of the "host" nation ... but Consulates may be located in other cities, as well.
    Think of the Embassy as the main office, and Consulates as branch offices.
      July 22, 2020 8:16 AM MDT

Got it. Embassy as the head office...Corporate as it were. The others are the sales offices. Thanks Walt. I asked a question about how many consultates other countries had in other countries. Florida is now called a CAT 5 virus wise. Bet der speigleman is proud. :)
      July 22, 2020 8:29 AM MDT

I think there may also be situations where a nation doesn't have an ambassador in the host country - so they have a consulate, rather than an embassy.  Not sure about that, though.
      July 22, 2020 8:35 AM MDT

Thank you for the additional info Walt. So China threatens retaliation. How d'ya think it will come down? Trade cutoff? :)
      July 22, 2020 9:04 AM MDT

Likely, they'll have us close a consulate in China.
    Though they had already refusedto let our Wuhan staff return - since the US wouldn't agree to testing and quarantine.
      July 22, 2020 10:02 AM MDT

It gets curiouser and curiouser. I wish we could FAST FORWARD to the end. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      July 22, 2020 11:51 AM MDT