Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » For those of you who remember the TV series Gunsmoke, which of these characters did you like better? Chester or Festus?

For those of you who remember the TV series Gunsmoke, which of these characters did you like better? Chester or Festus?

Posted - July 22, 2020

Responses

Festus was in the series later on. I remember him better. He is my choice.

July 22, 2020 12:39 PM MDT

Why, neigh don't hold a bit of hay next to Ruth!

He was my favorite!
    Did you ever notice, though, that Matt never got shot in his shooting arm???
      July 22, 2020 12:56 PM MDT

I was a teenager when the series ended. I didn't pay much attention to details at that age. lol.
      July 22, 2020 1:05 PM MDT

... likely story!!
    Big Giggles!
    It's true.  Matt got shot many times but never in his right arm!
    I liked Ruth because it's a girl name and he was a male.  I can't remember if that makes him a donkey or a mule but it was a funny little catch they put in for Fester's steed.
    ;) :)!!
      July 22, 2020 1:12 PM MDT

I dug up some info. In the 1974 season titled The Disciple, Matt Dillon was shot in the right arm during a bank robbery and Doc isn't sure he will ever recover. Be cause of this he resigns as Marshall and heads into the wilderness to recover.
      July 22, 2020 8:52 PM MDT

Thank you.  I sit corrected. I would like to say that WAS the day he retired and was no longer Marshall. 
    The day he got shot in his shooting arm is the day his character left.  Hence, for all the years the show ran, he never got shot in his right arm.
    We are Both right!
    Thanks again for looking that up.  :) :).  I was unaware of that episode and am glad to now know how and why he disappeared.  
    I wasn't a big fan of the show and watched only as reruns but I did enjoy all the characters.  I never knew Chester but did know Festus.  He was a great comic relief.  Ruth and Festus made a great team!!
    :) :)!!
      July 23, 2020 10:55 AM MDT

• Festus was a well developed and well played character courtesy of Ken Curtis.  Festus was a much better part of the show.
      July 22, 2020 2:00 PM MDT

Festus was a hoot!
      July 22, 2020 5:53 PM MDT