Active Now

Malizz
DannyPetti
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does testing really prevent illness and death? How do we know? If we stop testing and just see what happens what will happen?

Does testing really prevent illness and death? How do we know? If we stop testing and just see what happens what will happen?

Posted - July 23, 2020

Responses

Testing prevents nothing. 

One doesn’t take a test in school to prevent stupidity.  They take it to show if they know the material or not, and to let the teacher know what areas that student needs to focus on.  Likewise, a medical test isn’t meant to cure a disease, rather it’s to tell doctors whether one has a certain issue or disease.  That information helps doctors know what steps (if any) need to be taken next. 

Testing won’t make a disease “go away”.  Just like not taking a pregnancy test won’t make one any more or less pregnant.  Testing simply gives one more knowledge to help them make more informed decisions.

July 23, 2020 3:05 PM MDT

If I take a test for cancer and it is found they can operate and save my life Shuhak. I did and they did in 2008. If they did not do the test I would not have known and I would not be here to tell you that. Why would you think testing prevents nothing? The purpose is to PREVENT the worst case outcome. Name a disease. If you don't know you have it you might die because of it. If you know you have it preventive measures are taken and you could survive to old age. So once again I'd like you to clarify your first three words. They do not compute. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! STAY SAFE! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 24, 2020 2:18 AM MDT
      July 24, 2020 2:17 AM MDT

Testing (in and of itself) prevents nothing.  That’s not its purpose.   Its purpose is simply to identify what needs or doesn’t need to be done.   

A cancer test can only show if the patient has or doesn’t have cancer.  It can’t treat or prevent it.  It merely shows the doctor if the patient has or doesn’t have cancer (or how an already diagnosed cancer is progressing). 

Likewise, a test at school isn’t meant to teach a student, it’s meant to identify what the student does or doesn’t know. 

Does that make more sense?

July 24, 2020 1:41 PM MDT

Yep! I KNEW you could get through to me. You did! Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Saturday. Wonder what's in store for us today? Fingers crossed. It's hard to do anything with your hands if fingers are crossed on both of them. Mebbe I should just give that up! Ya think? This post was edited by RosieG at July 25, 2020 1:07 PM MDT
      July 25, 2020 2:08 AM MDT