Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » History can never be changed but our perception of it can and does change. The most delicious exquisite current example?

History can never be changed but our perception of it can and does change. The most delicious exquisite current example?

1940 the Edmund Pettus Bridge was built. Named to HONOR a former Confederate brigadier general who was also head of the Alabama KKK. A TRAITOR to the union.

On BLOODY SUNDAY in 1965 John Lewis almost died on that bridge from vicious beatings.

Fast forward to 2020. It is said that this bridge may be renamed the JOHN LEWIS bridge.

As I said history cannot ever be changed. You cannot change the past. But you can change your acceptance/rejection of what it stood for what it meant what it did and what it was. And you call it what it was.

A once-honored Traitor and KKK top banana. We are now at a place where what he was is no longer honored but rejected and reviled. That is not negotiable. That cannot be covered up or lied about or stifled or silence or STOPPED by mystery meat thugs.

Posted - July 26, 2020

Responses

That would truly be a great thing to do....the renaming of the bridge to the John Lewis bridge.  And it will still be named after a Democrat.  
      July 26, 2020 9:30 AM MDT

That is quite ironic.
      July 26, 2020 5:45 PM MDT

I am quite a fan of irony as you may have gathered over the years. Poetic Justice? Once again that is a matter of how we perceive it. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Monday to thee and thine. You hang in. I'll hang in. Hopefully others will hang in too and maybe we'll get through this and be "better" for it. I know that's quite a stretch but I need the exercise! :)
      July 27, 2020 1:28 AM MDT

You stay safe. Jim, too.
      July 27, 2020 9:40 AM MDT

Thanks  and more thanks too. We've been at this a very long time haven't we? Wouldn't want the virus to cut it short! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 27, 2020 10:38 AM MDT
      July 27, 2020 9:53 AM MDT

No, people all the time are trying to change history to suit themselves and their beliefs and cover up the truth.  In just my own lifetime the so-called liberals have tried to trash and tear down all the heroes we grew up with and make us feel ashamed of being Americans which most people of my generation grew up being proud of. They want to weaken and destroy my country just to salve their very guilty consciences. They want us all to hate  and destroy each other rather than working together and helping one another. 
      July 26, 2020 8:11 PM MDT