Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Deepfake voice clone used in a failed fraud attempt". That is the AI technology used to manipulate audiovisual content. DEEPFAKE?

"Deepfake voice clone used in a failed fraud attempt". That is the AI technology used to manipulate audiovisual content. DEEPFAKE?

So you get a phone from your best friend needing money wired IMMEDIATELY. What do you do? How do you verify it is just a deepfakevoiceclone? They are allegedly getting better and better at doing it. The fraud brigade.

Vdeo can be deepfaked too.

So expect a pumpkin ad attacking Joe Biden

with Joe's Voice saying terrible things and Joe's body doing terrible things.

A deepfake election is in progress right now. Getting better and better and better at faking us out. Now what?

Posted - July 27, 2020

Responses

Overlooking the politics, a fraudulent telephone call usually sounds fraudulent.

Many are recorded so fail the first test: you speaking to  it. A live caller will react to the interruption; a recording will not.

Ditto (if it happens) with a political or any other ad by 'phone - if it waffles imperturbably on when you speak, it's a recording so just hang up. Otherwise react accordingly..... or just hang up.
      July 29, 2020 5:46 PM MDT

Here's the thing m'dear. We are now enveloped in a political campaign with ads being run 24/7 ad nauseum. How do we know that what we see ever really happened or what we hear was ever really said? If words can be faked and visuals can be faked then we might see Joe Biden stab someone to death or attend a KKK rally and give a speech. What's to prevent that from happening? We make our decisions based on what? What we see and hear. What else is there? So if what we see and hear is bogus then any decision we make will be based on lies. Does that not disturb you a lot? It does me. I'm an information hound and I'm always researching digging looking up verifying. That is a very frightening thing to know. So how do you protect yourself from that? SIGH. I know. How deep is the ocean how high is the sky? How much luck do we need to stay in reality and how do we know when we are veering toward fantasy? Thank you for your reply. We have an answering machine and screen all calls. That's easy. It's all the other stuff that's hard! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 30, 2020 2:15 AM MDT
      July 30, 2020 2:14 AM MDT