Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Have the food prices in your neck of the woods worldwide been adversely affected since the COVID 19 pandemic began? By how much?

Have the food prices in your neck of the woods worldwide been adversely affected since the COVID 19 pandemic began? By how much?

Posted - July 30, 2020

Responses

I have not noticed any increases. So things are still lightly stocked but same prices. 
      July 30, 2020 6:03 AM MDT

The price of red meat is up about 10%. Produce was up, but going back down as local crops are coming in. Poultry, dairy and seafood are about the same.
      July 30, 2020 7:07 AM MDT

I think that's pretty remarkable don't you E? At our markets food remains pretty stable price wise though a few things are up a bit and WINCO jacked up their price on canned soup like a loan shark!. Some things the markets used to carry they no longer do and I expect it's simply due to unavailability. There are still some bare shelves whenever we go out to the market. Specifically I haven't seen a can of LYSOL on the shelf at either Walmart or Winco for several weeks. I guess folks are hoarding them for an eventual need. We don't know how long our lives will be like thus so I guess we have to plan for a pretty long time. SIGH. Thank you for your reply. Do you have several markets where you can shop so the competition might help to keep prices down? We do. I hope you do too. Thank you for your reply E! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 30, 2020 8:40 AM MDT
      July 30, 2020 7:13 AM MDT

For staples like canned good, bread, milk, frozen I go to Kroger. The other two major stores rarely have markdowns. Meats and poultry I buy at 'House of Meats', a local market with three stores in the city. Produce and deli I buy at another local store "Monettes", which also have several stores here. They have been around for 68 years.
      July 30, 2020 8:46 AM MDT

We do the "one-stop shop" thing here in Hemet L. But when I was a kid and went food shopping with my Dad on Saturdays (mom never liked shopping! Go figger) we'd go to various stores. Market Basket for the staples. A meat store A fruit stand and a bakery. I remember the meat store specifically when I was a teenager because  one of the kids I went to high school...Nick..worked there after school. I think his dad was the butcher So it was fun to see Nick in place other than school. For bakery goods we also used to have a truck come around and mom used to buy cream puffs or chocolate eclairs...both of which she adored! Gosh I remember we'd hear the bells or whistles to announce the coming. We used to have an ice cream truck come through to and all the kids would out with their money to buy things. My favorite was the creamsicle. Vanilla Ice cream covered in an orange popsicle coating. Do they still make those? What would we do without our memories? Thank you for your reply E. Can you believe tomorrow is August 1? Where did the year go? Do you know because I sure don't!

OMG E! Did I ever royally screw up. APOLOGIES. Profuse. AARRGGHH! :( This post was edited by RosieG at July 31, 2020 7:33 AM MDT
      July 31, 2020 3:33 AM MDT