Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Your mate or a friend says something you think is completely goofy. You brush it off. A stranger tells you the exact same thing. Now what?

Your mate or a friend says something you think is completely goofy. You brush it off. A stranger tells you the exact same thing. Now what?

Aren't you more disposed to accept and believe it?

Why is that?

Posted - August 4, 2020

Responses

That’s something that drives me nuts!  I say something and my family brushes it off (yeah, sure).  However, if someone else says the exact same thing, they’ll believe it as if it were gospel (did you know this?).   Or I can tell a family member how to do something and they won’t believe me.  However, if someone else comes along and says the exact same thing, it’s as if they never heard it before.

Why are we more inclined to listen to a stranger than a family member?  It could be because we don’t expect it.  After being around someone for a while, we become used to them; we “know” them.  As such, we can anticipate what they’ll do next (consciously or subconsciously).  Therefore, if there were something we didn’t know, we assume our mate/friend doesn’t know it either, otherwise we’d have known it by now.  In fact, we don’t even listen to them.   We hear them speak, but since what they’re saying isn’t what we expect, it “doesn’t register”.

This post was edited by Shuhak at August 5, 2020 5:49 AM MDT
      August 4, 2020 1:40 PM MDT

On the whole Homo Saps are a very strange species. I think they are logical only incidentally. They espouse the most oddball weird crackpot wackadoodlenoodle things as GOSPEL and brush off such inconvenient things as TRUTh HONOR JUSTICE KINDNESS.

If it were up to me I'd scrap 'em and start over. I think I'll ask. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      August 5, 2020 5:51 AM MDT