Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Millions of folks on the east coast are currently WITHOUT POWER after a storm slammed it's way up the coast. Condolences. WHAT'S NEXT?

Millions of folks on the east coast are currently WITHOUT POWER after a storm slammed it's way up the coast. Condolences. WHAT'S NEXT?

Posted - August 5, 2020

Responses

How long does it typically take for the repairs after such a storm? (You posted that on Wednesday so I assume many supplies would have been restored by now, unless the storm broke many major overhead power-lines in many places.)
      August 6, 2020 4:30 PM MDT

It can take days Durdle. It depends on the extent of the damage, the weather while they are trying to do the repairs. So usually power is restored in a matter of hours if it's something relatively small. But this the deep of summer and being without air conditioning for any length of time plus the added humidity from the rain is something that must be devastating to them. Thank you for your question. A New Yorker or New Jerseyite could answer it better in this instance! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 8, 2020 2:19 AM MDT
      August 7, 2020 5:15 AM MDT

Thank you. Yes - I can see it would be grim.

I've a pen-friend in Norway, and she tells me there the main problem is ice breaking power-lines by its weight. A few years ago they had grass-fires after an unusual Autumn drought changed rapidly into a cold Winter. Icing broke lines that fell and arced to the ground, setting alight vegetation that the weather had not yet wetted. I have noticed that the Norwegian electricity authority is careful to keep trees clear of power-lines, but there is still a lot of grass and small shrubs under them. 
      August 7, 2020 2:48 PM MDT

It's funny odd. When I think of Norway I think of ice and snow and fjords and cold. Grassfires? Seems out of place in my stereotype of the country. Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      August 8, 2020 2:22 AM MDT