Active Now

Pet Eater
WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I did not know that INDIANS and Pakistanis are considered to be white south ASIANS? Did you?

I did not know that INDIANS and Pakistanis are considered to be white south ASIANS? Did you?

So Kamala Harris is Indian(Asian) and African American. Huh! Good to know what's what.

Posted - August 12, 2020

Responses

India and Pakistan are on the Asian continent.
    So is Russia and the Middle East, btw.

But unless someone personally came from another country ... they're American, not some hyphenated crossbreed.

The only reason to hyphenate is to divide people even more than nationalities already do.

And to imply that their loyalties are not with the nation they reside in.

August 12, 2020 8:51 AM MDT

I know you are trying to make a point Walt but I'm not sure I can figure out what it is. It is confusing to me. So India and Pakistan are on the the continent of Asia. So is Armenia (my heritage). I'm not Asian. So your point is what exactly? Thank you for your reply and the very pretty map! :) Sorry I seem to be getting dimmer every day. AARRGGHH! :( This post was edited by RosieG at August 12, 2020 9:13 AM MDT
      August 12, 2020 9:08 AM MDT

My point was three-fold:

First, if someone was born in America ... and aren't dual-citizen with another nation ... they are American.
    Not some hyphenated American.

Second, if someone is referring to their ancestral heritage - Asia is an entire continent, and doesn't really state their heritage.
    Russia and China are both on the Asian continent, but their cultures are vastly different. 
    Same with England and Norway, on European continent.
    Or Egypt and Zimbabwe, on the African continent.

Third, the main reason people use hyphenated heritage terms is generally to create/maintain division among us.
    It implies the person/people being referred to are not "true Americans".  IE: They have divided loyalties, so they can't be trusted.
    It's a way to use racism, without appearing to - because we can claim we are only referring to where their ancestors came from.  
    (ignoring, of course, that we ALL came from Africa originally)
      August 12, 2020 12:29 PM MDT

they’re south asian, technically. but I think it is kind of stretch because when people think of asians they usually think of south East Asians, and pakistanis are more commonly thought of as middle easterners since they share a religion with most of that region 

i Think they should leave Kamalas ethnic back ground out of it and focus on her politics and achievements instead. there is def more to her than just being black and being Indian. its a very weird thing to base a VP pick on 
      August 12, 2020 9:13 AM MDT