Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "367 fires tear across state amid high heat". My state of California. Headlines Thursday morning. What's going on with you? What state?

"367 fires tear across state amid high heat". My state of California. Headlines Thursday morning. What's going on with you? What state?

Posted - August 20, 2020

Responses

From the amount of smoke and ash around here, one would think there were a lot more than that. 

The smoke is so thick here that it blocks out the sun.  It’s not just from the nearby fire (that’s the low-level smoke), but from the ones on the other side of the state.  Those fires are also giving us occasional ash showers.

August 20, 2020 11:29 AM MDT

Yesterday morning when we went to Winco the air was filled with smoke Shuhak. When I came home  I changed clothes and put what I was wearing in the laundry. Everything was smoky. Inhaling that for any length of time is not a good thing. Are you doing okay up there? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 21, 2020 11:40 AM MDT

The air here is in the very unhealthy to hazardous range.  They’re telling people not to go outside unless the absolutely have to.  To look outside here, one would think it was simply overcast and very foggy.   However, the dull orange glow and the difficulty in breathing say otherwise.   

It finally got cool last night (58), but since I can’t open up the house it’s still hot and stuffy inside, and it’s very hard to breathe.       

August 21, 2020 12:30 PM MDT

I feel so very bad for you Shuhak. I don't know what that is doing to your lungs. How many days has it been going on? You do have fans inside the house don't you? When we go to bed it's like mid-90's out so we leave the AC on. Then when Jim or I get up during the night we check the temp outside and then turn off the AC. So far though there have been warnings of "rolling blackouts" but we have not experienced any. Have you? Oh you know what's really really good? When we go to the market we buy a lot of grapes. We wash them and freeze them and just munch on them. Frozen solid they're like popsicles and very refreshing. I don't know if you fancy grapes at all but if you do give that a try. It cools you down from inside for awhile! Take care. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      August 21, 2020 12:50 PM MDT

I have ceiling fans in every room (except the bathroom and utility room).  However, I have no AC or any way to filter the air.  Teh fans don't cool things down much (80's inside).  I make grape juice popsicles.  No rolling blackouts yet, but the power does keep going off - and no one knows why.  The other day nearly half the county was out of power.
      August 21, 2020 1:13 PM MDT

I thought I replied to this but I don't see any response. Isn't that what a rolling blackout is Shuhak? The power goes off for awhile? How long is off during those times? Stay strong. Take care. I've read that we asked for help from the Aussies. I'm going to Google it and find out the details. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday!. :)
      August 22, 2020 3:10 AM MDT

PG&E said they were not rolling blackouts (purposfullycaused).  Equipment malfunctions and transmission interruptions due to the fires.
      August 22, 2020 7:34 AM MDT

Oh. Okey dokey. I get it. So far so good for us. We have our fires down south too but nothing like you are suffering with yours. I don't know what to say except I'm so sorry. It's not fair. I know. Fair was never promised to anyone but still. HIGH HEAT PANDEMIC EVAUCATIONS DUE TO MASSIVE FIRES? Seriously? Earthquakes will fill the bill very nicely? It's too much. SIGH. Take care Shuhak. I will tell you this. You know I talk to GOD daily. Well I'm doing it a whole lot more lately. Not asking for anything but well wondering is there an end and if so when?  You? :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 22, 2020 1:56 PM MDT
      August 22, 2020 11:48 AM MDT