Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Pumpkin pledges to send sheriffs and law enforcement to polling places on election day"! What better REASON do you need to vote by mail?

"Pumpkin pledges to send sheriffs and law enforcement to polling places on election day"! What better REASON do you need to vote by mail?

Posted - August 21, 2020

Responses

I'm sure law enforcement would just LOVE to agree to that.
    As if they don't have a difficult enough time with all the protests against them, already.

Since the President has no power over local law enforcement, I doubt many (if any) would pay any attention to such an "order".

August 21, 2020 8:37 AM MDT

Do I notice a "tongue-in-cheek reply m'dear? Do I perceive an underlying "WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING?" beneath the surface? I hope you're right. Are cops and other legal gun-toting anyones still his best support or  are they sick and tired and disgusted and WANT OUT? I guess we will find that out! Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      August 21, 2020 10:24 AM MDT

I don't know if ALL Sheriffs are elected ... but they are in WA and OR.
    Even though they lean conservative (even in strongly Democratic states), I doubt they would obey such an order.
    1 - They want to avoid as much controversy as possible.
    2 - They have their hands full with crime, as they are always short staffed.
    3 - "Unfunded Federal Mandates" are a constant source of irritation for local departments.

Not to mention that Oregon doesn't allow Law agencies to cooperate with most ICE or FBI requests, so there's no way they would be allowed to cooperate with this type of request.
      August 21, 2020 11:19 AM MDT

That's good to know m'dear. Not true of other states. We west coast states are LIBERALS and that's why the southern and northern states DESPISE us. But I am not telling you anything you don't already know. Thank you for your reply Walt. Do you have any idea what comes next? :) Got a question for ya. You describe yourself as a Libertarian. Is Rand Paul your cuppa tea or is he anathema to thee? This post was edited by RosieG at August 21, 2020 11:29 AM MDT
      August 21, 2020 11:27 AM MDT

I will be happy to go to the school around the corner and vote in person as usual. The fact is that law enforcement is always present at poll sites. It's the police who collect the locked ballot boxes after the polls close. Where do you think the term "precincts reporting" comes from?
      August 21, 2020 11:25 AM MDT