Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Wow! First time since February we went to a doctor's. Did you know they had thermometers that could take your temp from 15 feet away?

Wow! First time since February we went to a doctor's. Did you know they had thermometers that could take your temp from 15 feet away?

I am not joking. We went to Kaiser. Used hand sanitizer. Got a little sticky to put on and said our temperature would be taken. I asked when and they said it already happened! "It already happened" sez I? "WHEN?" They pointed to a contraption I hadn't even noticed as we walked by.

Was that developed because of the virus or have they had it for decades?

Posted - August 26, 2020

Responses

They have been using them in public places like airports for quite a while.
      August 26, 2020 5:36 PM MDT

I was giddy with joy. Honestly it was so weird to me that so far away an electronic device could do that! I wonder what else is out there I know nothing about? I mean how is that possible E? How far can those sensors detect? Of course it makes a great deal of sense to have something like that but honestly it cheered me up and I have no idea why. I guess I'm desperate to find things that are cheery these days. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      August 27, 2020 3:45 AM MDT

All warm bodies/objects radiate infrared, or heat. They have been used in the military for years to detect bad guys at night. They have now been calibrated to measure temperature. I don't know what their range is.
      August 27, 2020 6:56 AM MDT

I have no idea why it tickles me to know that E but it does. You're going to laugh but it's kinda sorta like quantum entanglement in my mind only on a much much much much much smaller scale. How can anything 15 feet away from me "read" me? How can a point here affect a point millions of miles away as if they are connected? It's all magic albeit on different scales. Finding that out made my day. I told the guy who was there that and he smiled. I guess he's used to old ladies saying wacky things. I guess science is my biggest fascination. Thanks m'dear! :)
      August 27, 2020 8:18 AM MDT

It is based on one of Einstein's discoveries...the photoelectric effect. He won a Nobel Prize for it.
      August 27, 2020 9:51 AM MDT

Oh something else I did not know! Thank you for the info E. Photoelectric effect. I'm gonna Google it! :)
      August 28, 2020 7:28 AM MDT

Oh yes, infra-red detectors, which is what these devices are, have been around for a long time, though it might be quite recently that they have been made sufficiently sensitive to measure people's temperatures to sufficient accuracy rather than just recognising their presence.

(Infra-red radiation is heat energy.)
      August 27, 2020 4:03 PM MDT

I was gobstomped (in a very good way) by it Durdle. It just tickled me no end. If that isn't "magic" working right in front of my very own eyes I don't know what is! Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 28, 2020 7:30 AM MDT