Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » There is the Vietnam War Memorial Wall in D.C. with over 58,000 names. The CIA Wall of 133 stars is in Langley, Virginia. A third wall?

There is the Vietnam War Memorial Wall in D.C. with over 58,000 names. The CIA Wall of 133 stars is in Langley, Virginia. A third wall?

A wall listing the names of all blacks who were lynched or murdered who were innocent of any wrongdoing.

Now that will be impossible if not difficult...switch that. That would be impossible forget difficult. The names of those decades ago are lost to history. Sadly. Like the unmarked graves of the "unknown soldier".

Even so even still it would be nice to have a place the innocents who were murdered dead could be memorialized.

I know y'all are APPALLED. Get over it.

Posted - August 27, 2020

Responses

Hmmm ... I like the idea.
    But not just for blacks.
    It could represent all the peoples who were oppressed at any point in our nation's history.
    Blacks, natives, Chinese, and whatever other groups were abused ... yes, even Irish.
    It would have a statue for each of those groups.
    Even if it couldn't name every individual, it could be like the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

EDIT: And plaques stating how each group contributed to our nation. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at August 27, 2020 8:12 AM MDT
      August 27, 2020 8:02 AM MDT

((hugs)) You just made my question MUCH BETTER Walt for which I thank you. But how large would that wall have to be and how many billions of names would that be? OK. We are definitely on the same page on this. Wonder who else will salute with us? Thanks bigly Walt.
      August 27, 2020 8:13 AM MDT

One quickly realizes how difficult even getting an accurate count would be, by using official records.
    Just the Civil War is a nightmare, trying to get an accurate death count.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/civil-war-toll-up-by-20-percent-in-new-estimate.html#:~:text=For%20110%20years%2C%20the%20numbers,numbers%20were%20far%20too%20low.

Thus, my suggestion of a Tomb of the Unknown Soldier type memorial, rather than a wall of names.

August 27, 2020 1:24 PM MDT

How about having both Walt? Why not name those we know about and then the tomb to represent the bazillions who died we don't know? Sigh. Like that will ever happen! Thank you for your reply and the link! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 28, 2020 2:46 AM MDT
      August 28, 2020 2:45 AM MDT