Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » There is a "something" syndrome where those who are abused protect defend support adore their abusers. Due to temporary/permanent INSANITY?

There is a "something" syndrome where those who are abused protect defend support adore their abusers. Due to temporary/permanent INSANITY?

Posted - August 30, 2020

Responses

I believe that's Stockholm Syndrome.  "Stockholm syndrome has been defined as a condition in which hostages develop a psychological alliance with their captors during captivity." [Wikipedia]
      August 30, 2020 6:20 AM MDT

Thanks honey. I couldn't think of it for some reasaon. Is it a survival mechanism? I expect it would be. :)
      August 30, 2020 6:23 AM MDT

I would imagine survival is part of it, but the explanation Wikipedia gives doesn't seem to give that much credence  

Emotional bonds may be formed between captors and captives, during intimate time together, but these are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims. Stockholm syndrome has never been included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders or DSM, the standard tool for diagnostic of psychiatric illnesses and disorders, mainly due to the lack of a consistent body of academic research.[2][3][4] The syndrome is extremely rare as noted by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation's Hostage Barricade Database System and Law Enforcement Bulletin estimating that fewer than 5% of kidnapping victims show evidence of Stockholm syndrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
      August 30, 2020 6:32 AM MDT

Really? I'm very surprised. Remember Patty Hearst? Also I think abused wives who keep sticking around are victims of whatever it is too. That rare? 5%? Wow. Thank you for your informative reply L! Goodness. :(
      August 30, 2020 11:47 AM MDT