Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » An Answermug friend mentioned the canard about "respecting all opinions". Not that he does but that's what is floating out there. DO YOU?

An Answermug friend mentioned the canard about "respecting all opinions". Not that he does but that's what is floating out there. DO YOU?

Posted - September 3, 2020

Responses

The respect rule here applies to users.  You can disagree and debate issues. But you are required to do so without make rude comments about the user. 
      September 3, 2020 10:00 AM MDT

I do find some comfort in this:

Deuteronomy 32:34-35

“Is it not stored up with me, sealed up in my vaults? Vengeance and retribution belong to me. In time their foot will slip, for their day of disaster is near, and their doom is coming quickly.”

September 3, 2020 12:37 PM MDT

Revenge belongs to God. 

Heb 10:30 For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."

Mercy is also given by God.  Thankfully.  

Nehemiah 9:31 But in your great mercy you did not put an end to them or abandon them, for you are a gracious and merciful God.
      September 3, 2020 12:56 PM MDT

Uh---I though I just said that.

Do you not recognize the source of my quote?

Edit: And there is some suggestion that while we live as a human being, God treats us with both justice and mercy.

But when we die, He treats us (primarily) with His justice---and plants the flag of truth into our souls.

Truth exists and is the proper object of study.  

And it is our obligation to search for it.

In the meantime, I think it prudent to avoid wearing those slippery leather soles on one's shoes while posting opinions. This post was edited by tom jackson at September 4, 2020 2:03 AM MDT
      September 3, 2020 12:57 PM MDT

LOL.  I simply agreed and gave more scriptures. Did you not recognize that?
      September 3, 2020 12:59 PM MDT

Your quote refers to His treatment of living human beings---not souls after what we refer to as death. 

I also recognized that you also gave another opinion that may well not be in light with a number of respected theologians.

A group of blind people describing an elephant in words totally miss the essence of what an elephant is.  We have a lot of blind people (those who interpret the bible without seeking the help of the Holy Spirit as they read) who try to describe reality.

It's sort of like not realizing the inherently predictive value of what is sometimes referred to as "not mattering" in forecasting what an individual person may do in the future.

Some opinions are just plain inaccurate, just like some bible interpretations are just plain wrong.

CS Lewis opines that far from being given free range for our talents in the afterlife, we may have to work to be forgiven for misleading our fellow human beings with our ignorance. 
      September 3, 2020 1:14 PM MDT

Just what opinion are you referring to tom? 

I do not recall ever discussing the Bible with you at all?   So you will have to let me know what you recognized.  

I personally do not care what someone opines about.  I care about what the Bible says so unless CS Lewis has scripture to back up anything he says....it means nothing to me. 
      September 3, 2020 2:14 PM MDT

Well, I certainly understand your reaction to CS Lewis---I have a similar reaction to what you suggest is meaningful..

Of course, Lewis died in 1963 and to know what he thinks one has to understand why what he opines cannot be determined without actively seeking and reading his books.

He is a well know Christian apologist.

Is that why you are not familiar with him?
      September 4, 2020 1:40 PM MDT

I would consider such a discussion a probable waste of my time. This post was edited by tom jackson at September 8, 2020 8:42 PM MDT
      September 4, 2020 1:41 PM MDT

You are who brought it up.

I did not say I had not heard of him.  I said unless there is scripture to back up anyone's statements on the Bible...I do not care what they say. 
      September 4, 2020 3:29 PM MDT

:):):)
      September 4, 2020 2:01 AM MDT

September 4, 2020 2:03 AM MDT

September 4, 2020 2:02 AM MDT