Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Breonna Taylor lived 26 years and was cop killed (murdered). She was worth $12 million. If she'd lived to 80 what would she have been worth?

Breonna Taylor lived 26 years and was cop killed (murdered). She was worth $12 million. If she'd lived to 80 what would she have been worth?

Posted - September 16, 2020

Responses

How do you put a dollar value on a human life?  I seriously doubt that had she lived to be 80, she would have earned or accumulated a net worth of $12 million - very few of us do.  Her family settled with the City so they wouldn't have to drag their pain and suffering through the courts and, while it is a handsome sum, I would imagine they would prefer having her alive.  This was a loss of life that should never have happened.
      September 16, 2020 8:41 AM MDT

I'm talking about lost POTENTIAL L. There is no way anyone can put a value on it since it is an UNKNOWN. We don't know her or her interests or whom she might have become. We don't know if she would have had children who might have changed the world which would have made her very precious. SIGH. That was the point I was making. It applies to all lives that are cut short not due to the bad doings of the person who is murdered/cop killed. It was THRUST upon them through no fault of their own. A travesty of enormous proportions. I dwell in the land of WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN and I am always sad. Are you familiar with Thomas Gray's "Elegy in a country churchyard"?  "Full many a flower is born to blush unseen and waste its fragrance on the desert air". That pertains to people who live out their lives. What might they have been with proper help or luck or breaks? Well what might have those who died early for no reason contributed to our world? We can never know that. Maybe a cure for all cancers? Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 16, 2020 9:21 AM MDT

No, we can never know what her potential would have been.  Monetary settlements are based upon future possible earnings in the field in which she was working,  There are metrics designed to calculate future earnings, if she was married there would be a calculation for loss of companionship for a spouse, etc.  
      September 16, 2020 10:09 AM MDT

I know. Cold hard facts. Numbers. In the end we are all reduced to that. Sad. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      September 16, 2020 10:46 AM MDT

Unfortunately, in terms of lawsuits, there is no other way.
      September 17, 2020 8:43 AM MDT

Imagine all the lost Potential of all the babies who are aborted daily in this country. 
      September 16, 2020 1:58 PM MDT