Active Now

Slartibartfast
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Is Wikileaks a mouthpiece for the Russian Government? Are they servicing Russia purposely at US election time? Why might that be pray tell?

Is Wikileaks a mouthpiece for the Russian Government? Are they servicing Russia purposely at US election time? Why might that be pray tell?

Posted - October 12, 2016

Responses

Wikileaks has done leaks on Russia and has done leaks on republicans. There was no claims that it was a tool of russians then. Now that it exposes the corruption of hillary and her friends comes the claim that is evil russians doing it because they must say something to distract from the content of the leaks. Rosie why no questions about the content of the leaks? I must only assume that you forgive all hillary and her friends have said and done.
    That bad people at wikileaks just keep attacking helpless innocent hillary with the truth. If we can all simply ignore truth then hillary is great!
      October 12, 2016 7:44 AM MDT

I don't know the ins and outs of the US Presidential campaign (though we hear enough about it on the News!), and as foreigner I keep out of it, but I'd be surprised if the Russian Government would risk using Wikileaks simply because the nonentity hackers could easily turn and bite the Kremlin too. I reckon that Russia is a professional at this sort of game so is hardly going to use a bunch of amateur geeks it dare not trust.  
      October 23, 2016 5:54 PM MDT

Why  does the US government insist that Russia is the source of the hacking and responsible for providing Wikileaks info it leaked and why was the hacking limited to Dems and the Republican data base wasn't hacked? Seems to me if Russia had no involvement at all then both parties' databases would have been hacked. Thank you for your reply Durdle! You could b e right of course. That is what Trump says. That no one know who did the hacking despite the fact that 17  US security experts/entities say Russia is the perp. :)
      October 24, 2016 3:25 AM MDT

Whoever the hackers really are, the security people might know but withhold the information, as exposure too early on would help the attackers.

The US Government agencies' systems don't seem very secure though. The authorities are seeking extradition from Britain, a 35yo Briton for hacking into official web-sites or archives. As far as I know he was doing this out of curiosity, not for any further criminal or political purpose; but if someone can do that from his own home in a different country for no apparent reason, then the professionals in nations like Russia and China (the other main threat here) will find no problems at all.   

I don't know how secure the UK's governmental IT systems are, and obviously they won't tell anyone who does not need to know, but you don't hear of many successful attacks on them.

I wonder if one of the strongest things a government can do, though it will be very difficult and costly, is to develop not only its own security code systems but even its own operating-system, rather than rely on common, public so0ftware like Microsoft and Linux.  
      October 24, 2016 4:32 AM MDT

The US govt using many different methods for different departments. Some things would be trivial to hack and others very difficult.  I've seen both kinds and everything in between.
      October 24, 2016 6:51 AM MDT

It's a new version of the "Arms Race", then, and in some ways more dangerous because it's so insidious.
      October 24, 2016 7:17 AM MDT

Wikileaks is no more the mouthpiece of the Russian Government than they are of the US Government, or any other government. As for the US 'Government' saying it was the Russians, as the Clinton campaign alleges, remember this is the same government whose employees worked very hard to cover up Clinton's server, pay for play, and the IRS scandal. Funny how both Clinton's AND Lois Lerner's e-mails got scrubbed by low-level workers.

Chris Wallace hit the nail on the head yesterday (Sunday)when he asked Robby Mook, "You know, the Trump tax returns were stolen as well when they were mailed to The New York Times. You guys didn’t object to that, in fact, you jumped all over them."

It's okay for the Dems to use 'stolen' material, but not the Republicans. Continued double standard!
      October 24, 2016 7:33 AM MDT