Active Now

Element 99
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Though my Driver's LIcense will expire in a few weeks I have received NOTHING from the DMV billwise. KNOW WHY?

Though my Driver's LIcense will expire in a few weeks I have received NOTHING from the DMV billwise. KNOW WHY?

Due to COVID 19 the DMV has given an AUTOMATIC ONE YEAR EXTENSION to driver's over 70! No kidding!

Is the same true in your state? Any of you over 70 whose license expires this year who has a one-hear extension too?

Posted - October 5, 2020

Responses

Count yourself lucky.   I had to book an appointment with them 3 months in advance (I got my renewal notice at the end of september, but couldn't get an appointment until mid-december).  Then I had to go down there and wait for my turn to stand in numerous lines.  Plus I had to bring a portfolio of documentation to prove that I am who I say I am, I live in California and that I'm "officially" a US citizen, all just to get a gold bear with a star on it on the corner of my license (gots to have that "Real ID").  When I turn 60, I get to do it all over again (I'm sure they'll have some new sort of ID requirement by then) - providing this government still exists then.
      October 5, 2020 1:22 PM MDT

We have been told all police have been made aware of it. We will not have anything to prove it from the DMV so what I did was to keep the newspaper article in which this is all detailed and I carry with me at all times. When I use my DL at the market or wherever for proof of my identity I will also show the newspaper article. I GOOGLED it yesterday just to make sure it is still the rule in California. YEP IT IS! I told that to a checker at the market a few weeks ago who commented that my license was due to expire this month and I showed her the article. Her husband is 73 and his license is due for renewal so she is going to GOOGLE it and print it out so he can have it on him as well. It makes complete sense to do this. They don't want all the most vulnerable people jammed together in a closed space for hours. I hope other states do that too. It is a blessing and I am very grateful for it. As for the REAL D we're not going to bother. We don't travel and I cannot imagine our having to enter any federal buildings at our age. Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      October 6, 2020 3:10 AM MDT