Active Now

my2cents
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If you moved permanently from your country to another wouldn't you become a citizen of your adopted country?

If you moved permanently from your country to another wouldn't you become a citizen of your adopted country?

In so doing would you have to give your citizenship in your birth country or could hold DUAL citizenship?

Posted - October 21, 2020

Responses

In theory you'd surrender your citizenship to your old country.  That way there would be no conflict of loyalties (say in a time of war).  However, these days many hold dual citizenships.  And, despite what they may think or say, that can cause a conflict of interest.
      October 21, 2020 12:50 PM MDT

I could not give up my citizenship under any circumstances. I could be forced to flee my country due to things that are intolerable and out of my control. But my loyalty is to my country t'is of thee. NOT politicians! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      October 22, 2020 4:53 AM MDT

Not automatically.
    And who's to say if you may decide to change your mind down the road?
    Maybe you thought it would be permanent, but are "hedging your bets" by keeping your original citizenship.
    After all, if you want to go back and visit even - it would be much simpler keeping your citizenship, than going through the hassle of getting a visa as a foreigner.
      October 21, 2020 3:12 PM MDT

So you owe nothing to your new country then? I can't imagine abandoning the United States for any other country although honest these days Canada and Australia are very appealing. England too. But I am first generation American. My parents and grandparents struggled to get here. If I were to do that I"d feel I"d invalidated what they did and I will NEVER do that willingly. Just my take on it. Now if your job requries that. Say you are journalist and head a bureau in a different country that is different. But elsewise otherwise? I can't see it for me. Thank you for your reply.
      October 22, 2020 2:49 AM MDT

I only know one person who has moved "permanently" to another country - Norway, to marry her high school sweetheart.
    But she kept her American citizenship, because she has children with visitation rights - and it's easier to fight for her rights as an American, rather than if she gave up her citizenship.  It also makes it easier for her children to travel to visit her and re-enter the states.
      October 22, 2020 6:23 AM MDT

That makes perfect sense Walt. I know it's very OLD FASHIONED so just keep this between the two of us. I would have done the same thing. I would go wherever my mate/husband/whatever would go. Yes I would. I only speak for me. I have never been career-oriented so it wouldn't be that I would be giving up a BRILLIANT career for someone. I'm flexible and I adapt to what is necessary. Norway seems kinda cold to me but I have seen breathtaking photos of fjords (they are in Norway right?) and I'd adapt. I'd prefer the south of France but well I'd figger it out! Thank you for your reply. I don't know anyone who did that but there are ex-pats from America living all over the world. I don't know how many relocations were due to jobs or just an interest. My dad lived on the island of Crete for a couple of years. Wouldn't mind that. I think I am a resourceful person. If I put my mind to it I could LOVE wherever I ended up. I have a plaque that reads "BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED". That's me! I bloom! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 22, 2020 6:43 AM MDT
      October 22, 2020 6:42 AM MDT