Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Possibly more than half of us will have voted by election day. Get it over with. Do it TODAY. Are you a doer or a putter offer?

Possibly more than half of us will have voted by election day. Get it over with. Do it TODAY. Are you a doer or a putter offer?

Posted - October 26, 2020

Responses

I voted by mail already.
      October 26, 2020 11:47 AM MDT

By mail? You didn't drop it off in person to a SAFE place L? In California the tiny little Republican party flooded our state with FAKE dropoff boxes. They had the nerve to label them OFFICIAL. They were told to remove all of them and REFUSED. They were told to remove the word "official" from them. I don't know if they did that. They cheat and lie and collude and conspire because there are so few of them in a BLUE state and they ARE DESPERATE to do right by the dumb cluck duck. So we researched it and learned there were THREE SAFE drop off locations in Hemet. I hope New York doesn't have the same conniving dastardly bas**rdly Republican crooks as California does. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to you! :)
      October 27, 2020 3:53 AM MDT

I actually took it to the post office and handed it to a postal employee.  
      October 27, 2020 7:58 AM MDT

((hugs)) EXCELLENT! Atta girl! Good job. If you think that makes me very happy you are correct. I never could get anything by you! :):):):):) This post was edited by RosieG at October 27, 2020 8:12 AM MDT
      October 27, 2020 8:11 AM MDT

Since New York typically has not allowed mail-in voting other than military and being absentees, I have no idea where or even whether there are any drop boxes for ballots.  The early voting place is not that close to where I live and there's nowhere to park.  My usual voting place is a block away, but I wasn't sure my sciatica would allow me to stand on a line for any length of time, so I decided to do mail-in and dropped it off with the clerk.  
      October 27, 2020 8:14 AM MDT

Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as I think it could be. It won't be easy or smooth and we know the dumb cluck duck won't be gracious or sane. That's what we KNOW. What don't we know? That's the scary part. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Wednesday! :)
      October 28, 2020 8:06 AM MDT

Well, we will see soon enough. :)  
      October 29, 2020 9:41 AM MDT

My wife and I had planned to vote absentee at first; but given the importance of this election, we decided that we would just "vote early" instead.

Then after seeing the long lines on the news at various early voting locations, and with the additional warnings about rising Covid-19 cases locally; we decided to request an absentee ballots. 

Given the deadline for reception of the absentee ballot requests (11 days before Nov 3rd), I had to express mail our requests to the county early voting clerk at a cost of approximately $52.00.

Then, on the way home from the post office, I decided to drop by a polling location and see if the line was short enough for me to vote.

Turned out there was no one in line and I cast my ballot then.

Subsequently, I drove my wife up to that location (since it was cold and windy that day) and she also was able to vote without having to wait.

(Since the ballot requests had already been received and logged, she had a bit of paperwork to fill out; but everything went well.)

I assume we can just destroy the absentee ballots when we receive them, but I'll probably ask someone at the county office. This post was edited by tom jackson at October 27, 2020 2:50 AM MDT
      October 26, 2020 4:01 PM MDT

Excellent m'dear. KUDOS to you and your wife. Going to all that trouble to MAKE SURE. YOU ARE A DOER. We have voted by mail since 2008. That's when I had cancer surgery and chemo for six months and radiation and it just was so much simpler. Jim decided to apply for it too and since then we  vote in Primaries and General elections that way. We ALWAYS vote early by mail. This year we received our ballots and completed them. I checked with the League of Women voters and the local Dem headquarters in Hemet to see where the SAFE places were to drop off our ballots. In the before we just mailed them. Anyway three places in Hemet were SECURE. One was City Hall. So I called City Hall  to make sure and was told the hours would be 9am to 1pm. We showed up masked of course and social distanced outside. Just took a few minutes to get inside. We were greeted with a temperature taker and then were asked a few questions then we were directed to a window where a young man stood behind it. I handed him the completed ballot which I slid under the class. He looked at to make sure it had my signature, was dated and had our address. He smiled and said "it's fine" and then it disappeared in a box I guess by his side. It was under the counter on his side so I never saw where it was dropped but I AM SURE no one can get to it but the appropriate authorities. You know in California unknown numbers of fake drop boxes labeled OFFICIAL were set up by Republicans. They were told to cease and desist and remove them. They refused. They were told to get rid of the word OFFICIAL which they may or may not have done. In California Republicans exist in nefarious tiny itsy bitsy eentsy weentsy microscopic pockets in the rich areas of which there are many. There are fewer and fewer of them  than ever in number but they doubled down on cheating. Sad times these times. Anyway tom thank you so much for going to the trouble to share what you and your wife did. Hopefully that is being replicated millions of times. Happy Tuesday to thee and thine..especially your wife! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 27, 2020 1:56 PM MDT
      October 27, 2020 3:11 AM MDT

As an officer for a small non-profit (about 120 members at the time), I have actually ran an election some years ago that provided "vote by mail" as an option. 

When we got my wife ballot in the mail yesterday, it had the same components and requirements that we used for our absentee ballots for that election.

A PO Box address at the post office was used as the ballot box for the absentee ballot "deposit."

Everything went smoothly.

October 27, 2020 2:07 PM MDT

I am very happy to learn about that tom. I hope that is replicated hundreds of millions of times. But I worry.
    A militia person was asked if he anticipated a "civil war" breaking out after the election. He said something like it is likely..or very likely. When asked about his interpretation of what the dumb cluck duck said vis a vis "STAND BACK STAND BY" he said he and others took it as a sign that he expected them to come forward if necessary and do what was necessary. Nothing specific but we know they are always armed and ready. So what form it will take and how extensive I don't know. I'm pretty sure it won't be smooth and I know for sure the dumb cluck duck won't be gracious sane or do the right thing. Fingers crossed it's not as bad as I think it could be. Thank you for your reply! One week from today. Where did the time go?
      October 28, 2020 8:04 AM MDT