Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We are told we learn from every experience..even the bad ones. What is the very best thing you ever laerned from a really bad experience?

We are told we learn from every experience..even the bad ones. What is the very best thing you ever laerned from a really bad experience?

Posted - November 12, 2020

Responses

I don't know if it's "the very best" ... but it's the earliest I can remember.  I think I was 3 or 4, at the time.

My family had a wood stove, that we had to walk past to get to the bedrooms/bathroom ... of a very small house.
    The stove was cast iron, but had a steel box around it.
    Yep, you guessed it ... I ignored mom telling us not to touch it, and touched it.
    HOT!  

That was probably literally the most painful lesson I learned the hard way.
      November 12, 2020 2:24 PM MST

Did it leave a scar Walt? In just reading that I flinched. What it must have felt like must have been excruciating. But you learned your lesson. For me at age 10 I snuck a cigarette out of my uncle's pack. We were visiting my grandparents who had a summer home on the lake. It had a basement. I took the cigarette and some matches down there and Lit up. Now somewhere I had read you had to swallow the smoke to get it to come our your nose. For whatever reason I thought that looked SO COOL. So I swallowed it. It BURNED my throat like you can't believe and I got nauseated. Thought I was going to throw up. I didn't. It cured me of ever wanting to smoke. That experience has always made me wonder why those who smoke subject themselves to agony in the beginning. Just to "look cool" or whatever the heck motivates them. Then they get hooked on it and can't quit and die from lung cancer and worse their second hand smoke gives others cancer or emphysema. Totally beyond my ken. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine! How are things going virus wise? Any more lockdowns? This post was edited by RosieG at November 13, 2020 1:27 AM MST
      November 13, 2020 1:25 AM MST