Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I asked this question around 2005 or 2007 on Answerbag. I'm re-asking it. Ever hear of PASCAL'S WAGER?

I asked this question around 2005 or 2007 on Answerbag. I'm re-asking it. Ever hear of PASCAL'S WAGER?

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662) was a French philosopher theologian mathematician and physicist who said humans bet their lives that GOD either exists or does not exist.

His view was that a rational person should live as if GOD exists and seek to believe in HIM.

If GOD does not exist such person will have a finite loss(some pleasures or luxuries) whereas if GOD does exist the person stands to receive infinite gains (Heaven) and avoid infinite loss (eternity in HE**).

"That wager broke ground for probability theory, decision theory, existentialism pragmatism and voluntarism" allegedly. So it's a gamble. Why not gamble on the side of what will benefit you most? WHAT COULD IT HURT? WHO WOULD BE HARMED".

The result of that question caused so much aggravation to a lot of people. I didn't understand why it did so I thought I'd run it up the flagpole again and see what happens.

Posted - November 18, 2020

Responses