Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What's the weirdest food you ever hesitated to try but once you did you really like it?

What's the weirdest food you ever hesitated to try but once you did you really like it?

For me it was ESCARGOTS. I was in my 40's before I had the courage to try it.

Posted - November 25, 2020

Responses

Squid (not calamari).  I had a high school biology teacher who brought in a squid and cooked it up in the classroom (no seasonings or coating).  He said whoever wanted to could taste it.  I gave it a try.  It was good!
      November 25, 2020 11:46 AM MST

Texture is important to me Shuhak. Was it CHEWY or tender? I like okra but not the slimy innards. I've had it cooked so there is no slime and also they sell okra pickles which are quite good. It was good without any seasoning? How did he cook it? Braise in butter? How many of your classmates were brave like you? Thank you for your reply. I've never had calamari. Have you? :)
      November 26, 2020 2:13 AM MST

It was tender.  Kind of like cooked egg white.
    He brought in a stove burner to cook it over (no, not a bunsen burner).
    It was a long time ago, and I really wasn't paying attention to anyone else (we sat at lab benches in a rather large room).
    No, I've never had calamari. 

You were brave to eat snails (escargot).  I wouldn't have.  Even though I know they are a "special" kind of snail, I've had too many dealings with snails and slugs here (in my gardens) over the years that I associate them altogether. (slimy and gross)
      November 26, 2020 9:41 AM MST

It isn't the garden snail but I expect you know that. They "breed" them I've been told. You know what it looked like? A tiny dark mushroom and the texture was like that too. It wasn't chewy tough but it was the garlic sauce and garlic bread you dip into it that makes it so good! Thank you for your reply Shuhak. This post was edited by RosieG at November 26, 2020 1:08 PM MST
      November 26, 2020 11:23 AM MST