Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do you support defend our getting away with whatever we can or do you think those who commit crimes SHOULD BE PUNISHED? Why?

Do you support defend our getting away with whatever we can or do you think those who commit crimes SHOULD BE PUNISHED? Why?

Posted - November 28, 2020

Responses

I firmly believe that criminals should be punished ,especially "large" crimes.  However, that punishment should fit the crime. (eg. a person who is guilty of jaywalking shouldn't get twenty years in prison; a person who is guilty of repeatedly driving drunk should not get just a slap on the wrist).   I'm also a supporter of the death penalty.  If a person  purposefully kills other people, then they need to be done away with.  

November 28, 2020 11:29 AM MST

An eye for eye! The Code of Hammurabi (sp?). You steal you get your hand chopped off. Why should there be mercy for people who harm other people? I know you know this m'daer. I AM NOT MERCIFUL. GOD knows and you do too and so do I. I cannot fake it and I refuse to try. Whatever punishment awaits me for that I will accept. Sigh. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      November 28, 2020 11:34 AM MST

Actually, the term "an eye for an eye" in the bible (mosaic law) simply meant, 'let the punishment fit the crime'.  Mercy should be applied,  otherwise we end up with revenge (and that never ends).  However, if a person purposely goes out and plants bombs to kill people or cause injury, then there should be no mercy, as they didn't show any.  Too often we make excuses for these deliberate murders  -"they're sorry, they're "underage", there was as as technicality, (etc.).     
    I am not unmerciful.  Lord knows I've committed some "minor" offences and wasn't "punished" (eg. only got a warning for breaking the speed limit).  I mean I like it when I receive mercy, so why should I deny it to others?  However, if we let (major) criminals get off scot free (eg. no fines or no jail time), it can appear to others as if they can do the same without consequences.  
      November 28, 2020 11:54 AM MST

Who besides GOD dispenses "mercy" Shuhak? To me that is way too big a thing for mere humans. You can look the other way pretending what it was wasn't so bad because you don't want to get the bad guy angry. If you don't mind my asking can you give me an instance where mercy was shown to you? What horrible evil thing could you possibly have done to merit that? I'm not being a smart a**. I sincerely don't know. I looked up "mercy" and definition 5. covers how I perceive it to be. "Something that gives evidence of DIVINE favor, a blessing." I think only GOD can be merciful. I think humans for whatever reason can dispense kindness. Maybe I'm just hung up on the application of that specific word. Thank you for your reply. I will ask.
      November 29, 2020 3:09 AM MST

"Mercy" simply means 'undeserved kindness'. 

Mercy isn't limited to God.  People can (and do) show as well.  Mercy doesn't have to be limited to some "horrible" or "evil" deed either.  

Back when I was going to college, I got pulled over for doing over 80 mph in a 55 mph zone on the interstate....right in front of a highway patrol car no less (whoops!).  I was guilty and deserved a ticket.  However, the officer let me off with only a warning.  He didn't have to do that.  I was guilty and he had every right to issue me a speeding ticket  But he didn't.  THAT's mercy!  
    I didn't commit some "horrible" or "evil" deed.  I was simply speeding.  We've all sped.  

I'm sure that, over the years, you've had many insects in your house (spiders, crickets, ladybugs, flies, etc.).  Have you ever ever purposely let one go?  Have you ever taken a ladybug or a spider outside so it wouldn't get hurt inside?  You had the power and the right to squish it, but you didn't.  That's mercy.

November 29, 2020 10:17 AM MST

Jim is BIG on saving spiders. He has saved dozens. Also crickets. We don't save roaches. I think what the cop did was KIND not merciful. My understanding of that word differs from yours. So mercy means undeserved kindness? I look at that very differently from thee m'dear. MERCY is a very big thing. HUGE. Simple kindness doesn't touch it. Just my take on it. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shuhak! Howya doin' elsewise?
      November 29, 2020 10:56 AM MST

I'm doing good.  
      November 29, 2020 10:57 AM MST

Glad am I. Hope it continues. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Shuhak.
      November 29, 2020 10:59 AM MST