Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does disease or war kill more people? Estimated 500 million infected with 1918 flu worldwide. 50 million DIED. 675,000 in the US. COVID 19?

Does disease or war kill more people? Estimated 500 million infected with 1918 flu worldwide. 50 million DIED. 675,000 in the US. COVID 19?

Before it is over and done and ends its run do you think it could eclipse the 1918 record?

Posted - November 29, 2020

Responses

Now that there are three vaccines to become available, I don't think that the death toll will reach anywhere near that of the Spanish Flu.
      November 29, 2020 7:13 AM MST

Until the doses are administered and all of us have been given the vaccines and it is all  completed nothing will change. That may take many many many months to effect L. Until then more and more and more will become infected, some will get very ill and some will die. I asked a question yesterday about the assertion that those actually infected may be 8 times higher than reported. I don't know if that is true but I do believe everyone who is infected hasn't been tested so hasn't been counted. So we wait. And then not all of us will react favorably to the vaccines. All we have are the words of the makers. They will sell bazillions of dollars worth before we even find out if the efficacy takes hold and lasts. It could give protection for just a few months. How many times per year do we have to get vaccinated to keep from getting it? Sorry for the downer but I just do not trust what is being alleged. Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 29, 2020 7:21 AM MST

I agree that there are many more people with the virus who haven't been diagnosed, mostly because they probably don't have symptoms.  Others may not have serious symptoms and yet more may not have access to testing facilities or be able to pay for the tests.  There are just too many unknowns at this time, but your points are valid.  Happy Sunday. :)
      November 29, 2020 10:50 AM MST

Thanks honey. We will OVERCOME! We will SURVIVE. But it doesn't hurt to cross our fingers does it? :)
      November 29, 2020 10:52 AM MST

No, it doesn't hurt to cross our fingers.  
      November 29, 2020 11:56 AM MST

:):):)
      November 29, 2020 11:56 AM MST