Active Now

Zack
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is remote learning as effective/successful as being in class? How much is learning being negatively affected?

Is remote learning as effective/successful as being in class? How much is learning being negatively affected?

Posted - December 1, 2020

Responses

I don't believe that remote learning is anywhere near as effective ad going to class.  For one thing, it's difficult for the teacher to assist children on line as easily as in class and teachers have never been prepared to teach that way nor have kids been prepared to learn that way.  The more serious problem is that not all kids have the equipment they need to learn remotely.  If they don't have a laptop or computer at home or they don't have internet service, they are at an extreme disadvantage.  I don't know how it is in other school districts, but New York City had had a helter-skelter school schedule.  One day they're doing remote, one day they're in school and sometimes, there is not even a few hours notice when the schools close.  Parents are having to make arrangements for their kids at a moment's notice.  It can't be easy for them to just call in to work and say they aren't going to be there the moment out idiot mayor decides to close the schools.  
      December 1, 2020 9:01 AM MST

I was a very good student back in the day when learning was not done this way. Would I have been able to ever survive it? I have no idea. It's definitely a cross to bear, a hardship, an albatross unless the kid comes from big money! I couldn't handle being whiplashed about as parents are being treated. The uncertainty of what's what would not bode well for me. I need to KNOW WHAT I CAN COUNT ON. Thank you for your thoughtful reply L. How do you think you would have done under these learning circumstances? :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 1, 2020 2:21 PM MST
      December 1, 2020 12:53 PM MST

This is why the whole learning experience for most kids and their parents will be horrific.  If you aren't computer savvy, you will give up trying to learn and this year will be a bust for thousands of kids.
      December 1, 2020 2:22 PM MST

In a very sad way this will INSURE that the terrible presidency of the duck has permanent lasting effects on this country. Those children will grow up to be what? More ducks? Scary thought. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Wednesday to you! Governor Newsome is contemplating a complete state lockdown. Poor Governor Cuomo. He tried so hard and in the end the people outwitted him and ignored him and back up go the spikes and surges. Not just New York of course but because your state and mine is heavily populated it is more noticeable. :(
      December 2, 2020 2:15 AM MST

I'm hoping that somehow, these kids will be able to make up the work they would have accomplished this year.  I heard rumors that in NY they are contemplating no summer vacation.  That would certainly help some.  I'm just happy that I don't have kids to worry about.  Unfortunately, these kids will be the ones who grow up to run out country.  
      December 2, 2020 6:47 AM MST

It won't be hard for the bright kids, the smart kids. Those who are above average. What about the other kids? The ones who struggle and need extra care so they can understand? What about them? SIGH. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      December 2, 2020 7:10 AM MST

The struggling ones will need all the help they can get.
      December 2, 2020 7:45 AM MST

I feel very bad for them. How does it get made up to them? I don't know but I hope the professional educators have a plain in mind. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      December 3, 2020 1:42 PM MST

If they had a plan, they would have rolled it out by now.  Right now, they're flying by the seats of their pants.  I would like to think that there will be tutors to help those that have fallen behind, but who knows.
      December 3, 2020 1:53 PM MST

I think the next three months surviving is what is most important. How many of us are left AFTER the Thanksgiving and Christmas vacationers go back home and stay. In about a week the Thanksgiving debacle will hit and the greatest number of deaths from that is predicted to be CHRISTMAS DAY. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      December 4, 2020 2:21 AM MST

Let's hope the predictors are wrong.  In any event, there is little we can do about what has already passed.  We can only control what we do from now forward.
      December 4, 2020 8:48 AM MST

True. Only what we do. Not what others do. Here we go. Again. And again again! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      December 5, 2020 6:57 AM MST

It depends on the student.

When you consider the fact that America's public school system now teaches to the slowest students, it is actually to the benefit of other students to learn at their own pace.  This is why private and home schooling constantly outperforms public schooling in testing.  It is also why colleges often rely on remote classes (or "labs") for certain subjects, even before COVID.  (Especially classes that are heavy math.)

And while most of the studies on how it is affecting students seem to be focusing on the negative aspects of not being around peers - I wonder if they even consider the positive aspects.  Like reduced bullying, peer pressure, and classroom distractions.

As I said, I think it comes down to the student - and their parent(s).
      December 1, 2020 10:31 AM MST

I wonder how history will threat this period educationally Walt? More pro than con or the other way around? We've never really had this type of LONG-TERM adjustment so we don't know! Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine m'dear! :)
      December 1, 2020 11:51 AM MST

It is not good for the kids.  The teachers cannot do what they need to do.  The teachers are not keeping their posted schedules. Fine for older students but not for elementary.  My grandkids are back in class, it is so much better. 

For elementary online learning it needs to be setup as a one-on-one situation, or it is just a joke. 
      December 1, 2020 10:42 AM MST

I was a very good student back in the day when learning was done IN SCHOOL and not virtually from a remote location. I can't even almost imagine doing well. I feel so bad for the kids. They deserve better. Thank you for your reply m2c. I wonder how long before kids are back EVERYWHERE in class?
      December 1, 2020 12:58 PM MST

As others have said, it really depends on the student.  With the large class sizes they used to have around here, much of a student's time was spent on their own anyway.  A teacher can only go as fast as the slowest student. 

What can be negatively affected is socialization.  Without access to other kids, they won't learn how to buy drugs, how to fold when stuffed into a garbage can, or how to be bullied.  Without being with other students, students will be forced to make "internet friends (and they aren't always what/who they claim to be).

December 1, 2020 2:34 PM MST