Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » When you are living in NOW do you always romanticize the past? Once upon a time did America come together for a common cause?

When you are living in NOW do you always romanticize the past? Once upon a time did America come together for a common cause?

Or was it always fractured dangerous potentially deadly?

I dunno. I remember 9/11 and President Bush. He stepped up to the plate and the whole world embraced us. It did SEEM to me that we were in this together.

I was just a little girl on December 7, 1041. Pearl Harbor. But the nation worked together it seemed. Men went off to war and women went went in to work in factories. Guns for butter. Rationing. What we denied ourselves was a privilege so we could support our troops.

Now that is my memory of those times. Most of you weren't even alive then so there are few of you I can ask this question but I shall ask anyway. Am I romanticizing those times? Were we at each throats choosing sides sabotaging vilifying attacking insulting or was there really a coming together? Anyone? Celebrities opened canteens where soldiers on leave could go to relax. Celebrities flew around the world selling WAR BONDS. Some of them died in plane crashes. Bob Hope kept going out to entertain the troops wherever they were. He took celebrities with him. It was their PRIVILEGE to do that. Whether they were Republicans or Democrats mattered not at all. Politics NEVER ONCE CAME UP. Those were the days my friend. I think.

Posted - December 11, 2020

Responses