Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Titles aren't that important to me personally but here's something kinda interesting going on. What do you think?

Titles aren't that important to me personally but here's something kinda interesting going on. What do you think?

Someone has suggested to Joe Biden's wife Jill (who has a doctorate in EDUCATION) that she should drop the Dr. before her name since she is not a medical doctor so it is fraudulent.

Now my son got his doctorate in philosopy in 2004. When anyone addresses him as doctor he just gives his name and says "call me Rich". He is DR. _____ but not a medical doctor. But titles aren't important to him either. I don't fault Dr. Biden for preferring to be addressed as Dr. I mean she did the work and got the title so if she wants to use it whom does it hurt? It doesn't bother me so why would it bother anyone?

What do you think? Why?

Posted - December 14, 2020

Responses

It's alright if THEY do it, but perish the thought of letting someone else do it.

People should spend more time minding their own business than trying to dictate other people's.
      December 14, 2020 11:02 AM MST

Ain't that the truff? I saw that and it struck me as so small and little and tiny and irrelevant and inconsequential that I had to ask. I mean c'mon! With so much stuff on everyone's plate  these days someone is concerned with this? Thank you for your reply Shuhak. Different strokes and it does take all kinds! Sadly.
      December 14, 2020 11:13 AM MST

Perhaps the "someone" is merely jealous of anyone with a doctorate, or indeed any academic or trade level requiring a vast amount of ability, tenacity and hard work to achieve.

I envy but also admire those who do succeed in that way, not so much for what they have achieved but for having been able to do so; for such achievement was never possible for me. So whilst perhaps a bit jealous I would never denigrate them, let alone call them "fraudulent" for using a proper term established over the centuries. 

I worked for some years for a company employing many Degree and PhD holders, I have quite a few friends with such qualifications - and I have never heard of anyone thinking it odd that the PhD people are addressed "Dr." despite having never worn a stethoscope.

Maybe that "someone" does not even know what "Ph.D" stands for!

No - Jill is Dr. -  , and I admire her achievements.

(I used the hyphen because I do not know what name she uses formally. She  might use "Mrs. Biden" informally but not professionally, because I understand it is common practice for women who gain a PhD while single , to maintain the maiden names used on their thesis and on later published, refereed, technical works, for continuity.)  ,
      December 14, 2020 4:32 PM MST