Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Since pols don't read the bills they pass many nefarious sneaky makers of those bills can put into them anything they want. Right?

Since pols don't read the bills they pass many nefarious sneaky makers of those bills can put into them anything they want. Right?

Do you ever sign anything you don't read? Why? On faith that the person who wants your signature is TRUSTWORTHY? Really?

What we have is a bunch of lazy illiterates in government whom we pay to do nothing apparently. They sit on their fat a**es or travel and collect paychecks. Lazy welfare bums. Handouts. You can't represent the people if you don't even read what you are voting on can you?

We're clearly the stupid dumbs for tolerating this. SIGH.

Posted - December 22, 2020

Responses

I believe CNN reported that they snuck in a rider on the stimulus bill that would punish streamers who pirate large amounts of copyrighted material.  

No senator in their right mind is going to sit down and read through a 5,000 page bill (in all its glorious legalese mumbo-jumbo).  They haven't the time (or patience).  They let other people do it for them.  

Yes, I have signed things before I read them.  Have you ever read through every "privacy notice" or "terms of agreement" you get?  You get privacy notices from numerous companies you do business with each year (California law).  Do you read them, or do you ignore them?  Ignoring them means you consent to them.  Every site you do business with has a "terms of agreement" that you must say you've read (click a box) before you can do anything.  Ever took the time to actually read through one of them? 
      December 22, 2020 11:27 AM MST

I have in the past when I was younger and my eyesight was better. I've even questioned things and asked for explanations. That was then. Now? Well no I don't. I used to be a voracious reader Shuhak but I've had eye surgeries that make reading less pleasurable. Now I "skim" or "scan" headlines to see if it's worth reading. I know I'm missing things but I figger at this age what's the worst that can happen? I get your point. But may I remind you that the pols who pass these bills affect us. What I sign only affects me. There is a difference. These pols WE PAY to service us, serve us and act on our behalf. We have a right to demand they know what the he** they are committing us to don'tcha think? The recent thingy is over 5500 pages long. WHY IS IT SO LONG? WHAT ARE THEY HIDING? I think we must needs take them to task and demand they take the time to read it. OR CUT IT DOWN. You disagree? That's okay with me. I still think it is unconscionable and devious and lazy and sneaky. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      December 23, 2020 3:26 AM MST

The reason it's so long is the same reason terms of agreement are so long - legal mumbo jumbo.  In theory, numerous bills cross these legislators desks every day.  If each one is 5,000-10,000 pages long, there's no way they can scrutinize each one.  Now, I will in no means defending these idiots.  {Heck, the representative for this district rarely even shows up to vote on bills... and then lies about it.}  YES it's their job, but they don't do their job (despite what many people may think).  From The moment there "hired", their #1 concern/objection is reelection.  They kiss babies to get elected as a warm up to kissing butt once in office.  They unscrupulously attach riders to bills because they know full well no one reads them.  And Joe/Jane Public aren't "educated" enough to understand all the legalese in bills to say anything.  (Just look at the legalese in a simple ballot proposition).
      December 23, 2020 11:05 AM MST

How about we stop taking it? How about we REVOLT? How about we camp in their offices. How about we shame them embarrass them call them out? How about it? They do it because we let them GET AWAY WITH IT. What if we stop? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      December 23, 2020 11:15 AM MST

It's been tried before (and will be tried again and again).  It may change things briefly, but in the end it all goes back to "business as usual".
      December 23, 2020 11:29 AM MST

Sigh. And the beat goes on. We will overcome. Look for the silver lining and try to find the sunny side of life! That's it. That's all there is. Sad. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      December 23, 2020 11:33 AM MST