Active Now

Pet Eater
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A question I asked on Answerbag many years ago I shall ask again. Whom do you have to thank for being where you are in life?

A question I asked on Answerbag many years ago I shall ask again. Whom do you have to thank for being where you are in life?

I got some fine answers listing specific people in their lives who had helped them, educated them, been there for them.

But surprisingly oddly queerly strangely I got a few replies from those who said no one ever helped ever. All they were and had was due to their own efforts. No one ever extended a helping hand at any time. No one ever took any special interest in them and mentored them. No one no how no way.

They believed that to be true. Do you?

Posted - December 23, 2020

Responses

I think it is selfish not to acknowledge the help we receive from others whether direct or indirect. While many may not be actively and consciously helping us we still learn from them so they really can be of great help.  If we can take what we learn from them and actively use it for our benefit and the benefit of others.  Certainly my parents and the community in which I grew up helped to show me much of what was possible in life and instilled a work ethic to achieve many of those things.  As much as I may have rebelled against them at the time.  I would thank (like receiving an Oscar) many wonderful men, some of whom I have been very close to and others just colleagues in business and life for the guidance and examples and knowledge I have receive from them.  My boss at work for the last 23 years for giving me the chance to excel while allowing me to be myself.  My husband for being understanding beyond the call of duty and taking me seriously as a person and friend. My stepdaughters for offering their friendship and understanding.  And of course to God, in whom and through whom all things are possible. 
      December 23, 2020 8:54 AM MST

Some people are incapable of being grateful or appreciative. They are the donut hole people. They only focus on what they do not have not what they have. I find them worthless useless and very selfish. Thank you for your reply.
      December 23, 2020 11:51 AM MST

I think my first answer was 'Me.'. Now it is nearly everyone who I have had a relationship with, one way or another.
      December 23, 2020 11:25 AM MST

Ah yes you remember it well! You have grown since then Grasshopper. I say kudos to you! Thank you for your reply E. Having a long acquaintanceship relationship palship friendship is not to be taken lightly. It grows rarer as we age! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 23, 2020 11:39 AM MST
      December 23, 2020 11:35 AM MST