Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I'm not a southern reb but I eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck and prosperity. D'ya know the backstory to the traditionn?

I'm not a southern reb but I eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck and prosperity. D'ya know the backstory to the traditionn?

Allegedly dates back to the Civil War. Those peas were originally used as food for livestock.
Then as a food staple for slaves.

So when Union Army General Sherman saw fields of black-eyed peas he ignored them because of their lowly state and razed/stole other crops. During the harsh winter Confederate Soldiers survived by eating the peas and in so doing turned them into a sign of luck and prosperity.

Some eat them with greens and cornbread. The peas represent coins. The greens represent paper money. The cornbread represents gold. Some eat cabbage instead of greens.

You must eat at least 365 peas on New Year's day to cover each day of the new year. Eaten with tomatoes it represents wealth and health.

I expect all southern rebs know that. I think it's superduper fascinating.

Posted - December 31, 2020

Responses

I've often heard of black-eyed peas but never knew they have a history!

I'd always thought they had become traditional simply by being a good food plant easy to grow in the Southern States' soil and weather. 
      January 4, 2021 4:14 PM MST

That is probably true too Durdle. It's amazing how so many apparently simple things have rather complicated histories. But we can't investigate everything all the time. Those we do often prove to be worth the investment of time! Thank you for your reply! :)
      January 5, 2021 1:33 AM MST