Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » When the mind's ability to think is gone all that we hear is gibberish. It makes no sense to us. Does it make sense to the person doing it?

When the mind's ability to think is gone all that we hear is gibberish. It makes no sense to us. Does it make sense to the person doing it?

Posted - October 18, 2016

Responses

Wednesday night we will see the two worst candidates in action Trump believes what he is saying is true and Hillary can't remember what lie she told last SO DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE.
      October 18, 2016 8:03 AM MDT

We have no way of knowing what the subjective internal state of a person is when the person cannot intelligibly communicate his or her beliefs/feelings/desires.

My understanding of the psychological research (and my personal experience with my dementia-suffering mother) indicates we tend to believe what we think, no matter how poorly those thoughts fit empirical reality.
      October 18, 2016 8:23 AM MDT

Condolences to you my friend for what you have been going through. Mahalo for your reply and Happy Tuesday OS! :)
      October 18, 2016 10:15 AM MDT

I don't believe we have any way of knowing what the person addled with dementia or some similar affliction is thinking. 
      October 18, 2016 1:22 PM MDT

They are stuck in a world we cannot fathom. I am sure some of it is like a dream state.  I am sure some of it makes little sense to them and that can cause tremendous fear and confusion.  It is no picnic for the sufferer nor the people they are leaving behind because of this condition, if it is permanent.  Usually it is.
      October 18, 2016 1:24 PM MDT