Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do you call it what it is or do you soften it up to give a way to save face? "You are MISINFORMED" or "YOU ARE A LIAR'?

Do you call it what it is or do you soften it up to give a way to save face? "You are MISINFORMED" or "YOU ARE A LIAR'?

How do you communicate? with velvet gloves or barefisted? Why?

Posted - January 5, 2021

Responses

I try to speak according to the context, but try to give the benefit of the doubt. There is a big difference between an honest opinion that may be from misunderstanding or sincere belief, or a statement that is genuinely mistakes, and a wilful lie.

If I think the speaker honestly believes something he or she "has read / heard" from elsewhere I would use "mis-informed" or similar. 

If telling me something I know to be at least partly wrong I try to offer a polite correction, perhaps on the lines of, "I think it was actually..."

It is rare that I encounter genuine lies, but then I may actually use the word.

It happens most often when I receive one of those 'phone calls from someone pretending to be "from the Windows Corporation" telling me my "computer has reported a fault".
    My response is likely to be, "No you are not, it has  not. You a liar and a criminal. Goodbye!" - but I already have  my finger on the telephone's switch-hook so I can cut the call fast enough to deny him the pleasure of slamming his phone down on me. 
      January 5, 2021 2:35 PM MST

Gosh Durdle you actually ANSWER the phone whenever it rings and engage with them? We have an Answering Machine and we monitor our calls. If we do not know the caller we do not answer. The majority of those unanswered calls are scams because they never leave any message at all. So we save ourselves the time and the aggravation. Any valid caller will leave a message. All the others are of no consequence and not worthy of my time. Setting that aside You are always very calm and measured in your replies insofar as my interaction with you goes. Logical and methodical and dare I say meticulous and you go the extra distance to answer the question comprehensively. You would make a very good educator/teacher. Does your IRATE ever get triggered or is it always under control? Sometimes my IRATE starts to go bonkers and that's when I know it's time to go... move on or better yet don't engage in the first place ever again. There are always the USUAL SUSPECTS with the same old vapid untruthful pitch. Been there done that why waste more time on it? So I try not to do so. Lack of patience is part of that. Also I'm an old lady and I don't have any time to waste on lost causes. I'm here to learn and enjoy and have fun. Not to get upset angry frustrated aggravated annoyed perturbed!  Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine!  STAY SAFE! :)
      January 6, 2021 2:11 AM MST

I try to discuss the topic without talking about the person at all. 

Talking about the person will just stop any possible true exchange of information.  Often just make them defensive.
      January 5, 2021 3:54 PM MST