Active Now

my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Excluding your own how many languages do you speak? Among those which is your favorite? Why?

Excluding your own how many languages do you speak? Among those which is your favorite? Why?

Posted - January 18, 2021

Responses

English is the only language in which I'm completely fluent.  I can butcher a Spanish sentence, but I don't use it much, so I'm fairly rusty.
      January 18, 2021 6:54 AM MST

That true of me and French. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      January 18, 2021 1:29 PM MST

LOL ...
      January 18, 2021 1:54 PM MST

Sadly, none really.

I have some remnants of French learnt (not very well) at school and used on holidays in France.

My Norwegian is little more than Vennligst (Please), Tewsen Takk (Thank-you Very Much - lit. "A Thousand Thanks) and a few simple words used as geographical name elements. Some of those appear in Northern English: fjell and bekk in Norse are respectively a high moor or hill, and stream; many of the Pennine Hills are called "Something Fell; and there is even a stream called merely "Fell Beck" - Hill Stream!

Also a few Welsh words also used in geographical names, plus a vague ability at the pronunciation and knowing the noun precedes the adjective, as in French. Afon Nedd Fechan, for example, is directly River Neath Little, fully Anglicised to R. Little Neath. (It is a real example.) I've no idea what Nedd / Neath once meant, any more than I know why "Durdle" Door, a famous rock arch on the Southern English coast.
      January 18, 2021 3:53 PM MST