Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I don't know how else to ask this question so here goes. In math do you have to know the destination in order to get there?

I don't know how else to ask this question so here goes. In math do you have to know the destination in order to get there?

Or do you just try out a lot of different paths to see where they will take you?

Some equations are so complex and long. Are they accidental or predetermined? When set out do you always know where you will end up?

Posted - January 19, 2021

Responses

You must know the destination you want before you can build a map, otherwise what would be the point of calculation randomly. I used to play with my calculator, though, and made up iteration calculations just to see where they lead. Kinda fun.
      January 19, 2021 12:11 PM MST

OK E. Let me try to grasp that. If this is a stupid thing to ask forgive me in advance because I'm super ignorant. Here goes. Did  the thinker know he wanted to reach MC squared when he started out with E equals? Did he already know what E equaled? Again I don't know how else to ask the question. I have heard authors of novels say they let the characters determine the paths they take and the ending. When they start to write they have a an idea and as they go along what they write takes on a life of its own. Of course fiction and reality isn't the same thing. Even so is the method the same? Scientists want to PROVE cold fusion exists? Where do they start to get there? So if all this is gibberish and it would be too hard to explain you can let it go. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 19, 2021 12:47 PM MST
      January 19, 2021 12:45 PM MST