Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first." One of my Jim's favorite sayings. What is one of yours?

"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first." One of my Jim's favorite sayings. What is one of yours?

He also says what his dad told him.  "Measure twice cut once".

Posted - January 20, 2021

Responses

I've never heard that one of Jim's! :-)

"Measure twice, cut once", is almost universal from craft trades where it has a physical meaning; but it could possibly be used metaphorically in many contexts. Its direct meaning is, measure, then check the measurement to make sure it is correct before cutting the material to that size.

I must admit I can't really identify any specific, favourite sayings of mine, but I do try to follow Jim's Dad's measuring advice.

One of my least favourite is "Roll on Summer / Christmas / ...  Time slips by fast enough without wishing our lives away.
      January 20, 2021 2:49 PM MST

I don't know if it's a saying I heard once upon a time long ago. But my BELIEF is that if you don't appreciate what you have it will be taken away and given to someone who will. If you aren't grateful and thankful every day then "good" is completely wasted on you and ought to be given to someone who will appreciate it. Where did I get that idea? I don't know. Perhaps I read it. Suffice it to say I am appreciative and grateful every minute of my life. I should be dead. Had several times when death was much more likely but I'm here and healthy and for that I am exceedingly grateful. 3rd stage ovarian cancer with a 15% chance of surviving 5 years. That was in 2008. Here I am anyway. Also a terrible car accident that should have killed Jim and me. We walked away from it with help from those who saw it happen. That was in 2004. Why? I have no idea. Do you know who GILDA RADNER is? She was a comedienne. She got cancer and it went away and then came back again. She said "if it's not one thing it's another". Very true. Thank you for your reply!
      January 21, 2021 2:53 AM MST