Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do other states in these United States have swamps or alligators besides Florida?

Do other states in these United States have swamps or alligators besides Florida?

Posted - January 21, 2021

Responses

TX, LA, Miss, AL...basically all the Gulf coast states. 
      January 21, 2021 5:40 AM MST

Really? How come all I ever hear about is Florida swampwise and alligator wise? Thank you for your reply m2c.
      January 21, 2021 5:43 AM MST

I don't know.  Maybe because FL has a college team named after their Gators. Or more tourists who bring home stories of seeing a gator by the highway. On the way to Disney World. 
    But you obviously do not watch "Swamp People" on History channel.  They hunt alligators in LA and some in TX.  
      January 21, 2021 5:51 AM MST

Do you watch SWAMP PEOPLE? It sounds like they are creatures from the black lagoon. I also don't watch slasher movies. People live in SWAMPS? Since I can not see me doing that why would I be drawn to people who do? Anyway. So they hunt alligators in Louisiana and Texas? To wear or to eat? Do they make shoes and jackets and purses out of the skin and cook the meat? "GATOR STEW"? Is that like ROADKILL? Not for me. Thank you for your reply m2c. SWAMP PEOPLE ain't my cuppa tea. Or swamp water. Or swamp soup. Or swamp fishing or swamp swiomming. This post was edited by RosieG at January 21, 2021 1:40 PM MST
      January 21, 2021 12:22 PM MST

Yes. I do watch it.  They just hunt alligators.  Yes people do live in the swamps. 
    They sell the gators to a company that buys them.  I imagine the company sells the meat to restaurants and the hide for shoes etc. 

Yes they make gator stew....or gumbo and jambalaya. It does not look very appetizing to me.  I would prefer my meat fried. 
      January 21, 2021 1:45 PM MST

I saw many gators when I was stationed in Charleston, SC. There was a swamp just across the Cooper River where my ship was parked.
      January 21, 2021 9:04 AM MST

YIKES! Any of 'em ever get within BITING distance of you? Do gators enter homes? That could be kinda unsettling. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      January 21, 2021 12:24 PM MST

The closest I ever got was across a small creek is was fishing in...about 15 yards. I saw its tail come out of the air, then slam into the water and an egret disappeared. Some young boys, who were swinging on a rope and jumping into the creek gout out of the water and started throwing stones at if. I left. The creek was only a couple of hundred yards from my home. I never saw one out of the water.
      January 21, 2021 1:03 PM MST

They threw stones at it? To rescue the egret or just because that's what boys do? Very lucky you never saw one out of the water. Don't they sometime climb on out of the water and scurry across a lawn? I think having a creek that close to your home would be wondrous IF there were no alligators there.  youever scared or wary? Hope those boys kept their distance! Thank you for your reply. Ya know we had a creek about two blocks from home. I remember going with the neighbor kids then and climbing down a small hill and getting to the bottom where the water was. It was always so cool and quiet down there. NO ALLIGATORS. We saw polywogs. It was a fun place to be. A "hideout" sort of. Long ago and far away. I was maybe 8? :)
      January 21, 2021 1:10 PM MST

Boys will be boys. Alligators are necessary for the ecology, so no, it didn't bother me that they were so close. They seem to only walk on lawns on TV videos. Water Moccasins were more of a problem. One of my shipmates was stuck in his apartment when a large one blocked his door.
      January 21, 2021 1:17 PM MST

Oh geez? Only for photo ops? Are water moccasins poisonous? It stared dow  your shipmate? How large do they get? It got in the apartment building? A snake? I've heard stories that they can show up in a toilet bowl but that's kind of hard to believe. They'd have to fight gravity wouldn't they to slither up? It's dangerous out there sometimes. Also inside sometimes. Thank you for your repl E! :)
      January 21, 2021 1:24 PM MST

They are quite venomous, but I never encountered one. I did encounter a copperhead, another venomous snake there. I was on a golf cart path and it was lying coiled up next to the path. I picked it up with a golf club and tossed it into the woods so nobody would step on it. It was quite docile.
      January 21, 2021 1:35 PM MST

You WHAT? Picked it up with a golf club and flung it afar? That was brave. How do you KNOW it wouldn't strike immediately and bite you? OMG. Where was that golf course E? Clearly water moccasins live in the water right? Where do Copperheads live? Anyplace they want I guess. Did you report it to someone like a groundskeeper just so they'd know and could take care of it? It was "docile"? That seems very odd to me and also that you were VERY LUCKY! Thank you for your reply. I'll ask Jim if he ever encountered a snake on a golf course Of course we know some humans we encounter on golf courses are snakes or could be. But that's a different discussion. :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 22, 2021 8:09 AM MST
      January 22, 2021 2:27 AM MST

Not lucky...cautious. I kept my distance and used my longest club. It was on a Navy golf course in Charleston. I would never pick it up with my hand; that would have been foolish.
      January 22, 2021 8:12 AM MST

Well also your intention was not to kill it. Just to get it out of the way. Still. Quick thinking. You say cautious. I think luck played a part too. Maybe you caught the snake at an inopportune moment when it might have been daydreaming? Distracted? Thank you for your reply E! :)
      January 23, 2021 4:21 AM MST

Hey...then I could say I was bitten by a venomous snake. Copperheads are rarely fatal, (0.01%) and the venom is the least of all of the other snakes.
      January 23, 2021 8:44 AM MST

I don't want to be bitten by anything at any time for any reason. I expect different folks react differently to snake bites. Some may be more prone to react adversely. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      April 3, 2021 5:03 AM MDT