Active Now

DannyPetti
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The Great Basin includes most of Nevada half of Utah and sections of Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon and California. Its significance?

The Great Basin includes most of Nevada half of Utah and sections of Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon and California. Its significance?

There is a Santa Ana, California. There are also Santa Ana winds. The Santa Ana winds are "strong extremely dry downslope winds that originate inland and affect coastal southern California and northern Baja California. They originate from cool dry high-pressure masses in the Great Basin.

There is a Savannah, Georgia. There are also Savannahs.

A savannah is a mixed woodland grassland ecosystem

What other cities carry the names of environmental conditions?

Posted - January 21, 2021

Responses

I can't think off-hand of cities that carry meteorological names, but there are plenty of town names that are geographical even if sometimes obscured by dialect or antiquity of language.

Perhaps the most obvious is a name ending in -mouth, (or other language equivalent) indicating being on the estuary of a river.
      January 22, 2021 4:17 PM MST

Hmm. Plymouth, Massachusetts. Would "moth" also fit in there? I think there is a Yarmouth on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. I wonder if there are more "mouths" on the East Coast because I can't offhand think of one on the West Coast though there probably are some. I lived in Massachusetts for 5 years a long time ago. A BEAUTIFUL State. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Saturday to thee and thine. So how is going for you viruswise in your country. I guess all of everywhere are still deep in the woods so to speak. When will we get out? SIGH. :), This post was edited by RosieG at January 23, 2021 12:57 AM MST
      January 23, 2021 12:56 AM MST